Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1971 302 C4 auto convertible, Grabber Blue/white/white
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tomorrow I am having a partial quarter panel replaced. my question is, how does one seal it against the rocker panel.
Does it get welded, then sealed after?
Its a piece from NPD, with the black coating. Is that enough for now until car goes for paint in 6-12 months?

See picture below, only the front half of quarter is being replaced.
Wheel Tire Blue Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
It has a lip it sits on that is tack welded to the top of the rocker at the same level as the rest of the rocker. In your case, it looks like someone welded it to the rocker all the way. Not a big deal, take a straight edge and draw out the line of the rocker horizontally and you can cut slightly above the line to detach the bottom of the quarter and be able to get to the top of the rocker to detach the rest of the lip. Just be aware that the rocker tilts upward slightly as it heads toward the interior...so make sure not to hold the grinder perfectly horizontal, tilt the blade up a touch.

P.S. This is based on 65-68 body styles, it may not be the same for later ones, I dont know

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It has a lip it sits on that is tack welded to the top of the rocker at the same level as the rest of the rocker. In your case, it looks like someone welded it to the rocker all the way. Not a big deal, take a straight edge and draw out the line of the rocker horizontally and you can cut slightly above the line to detach the bottom of the quarter and be able to get to the top of the rocker to detach the rest of the lip.
Thanks, I know how it welds on, but how do you seal it? To prevent moisture and sand and mud getting in the seam, and keep it from rusting out?

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Thanks, I know how it welds on, but how do you seal it? To prevent moisture and sand and mud getting in the seam, and keep it from rusting out?
Heh, I welded mine shut too(not the way its supposed to be done) and slapped seam sealer inside the structure underneath the 1/4 window...it wasn't sealed from the factory that I can tell, it always seems to end up half filled with paint anyway though

Reactions: RIBS

·
Registered
7,515 Posts
I put 3M seam sealer every where there is a metal on metal lap over so I did the same thing on these quarter to rocker panel areas on my car. I'm also spraying all the metal panels with epoxy primer. On the inside of the car In those quarter panel areas I sprayed 3M rubberized undercoat as a final coat.

If your black is a true black E coat if your car is staying out of the weather it should hold up fine while you continue to work on the car. Any areas that you take that off need to be sprayed with something. I shoot 3M weld thru on any area of panels that I have removed the E coat and it seems to hold up fine too.

Test your e coat with acetone. If it comes off on your rag I wouldn't trust that to hold up for several months. It would be best to go ahead and knock that off and spray epoxy on the metal.

This is only how I've done mine. There are probably forty eleven ways to go at this.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, follow up…the quarter patch is on, will need a little more work, but way better than before…

So here’s the status, base of quarter welded to the rocker at wheel opening, door jam base, and a few tack welds inside of quarter to rocker. So there is a gap, maybe 1/16 to 1/8 between the base of the quarter and the top of the rocker. It’s all raw metal.

this is the part I have the question about sealing/rustproofing ….the thin gap Between quarter and rocker…
help me pick the best options or combinations…
I have paintable seam sealer caulk I assume I can use on the very outer edge
should I spray something like paint or rustproofing deep in the seam?
if so, what? rustoleum paint, chassis paint,
I know from above I can paint the inside of the quarter, and or spray cavity wax…
what about body cavity spray like a wax?
something else?
Automotive tire Tread Tire Wood Plant

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Motor vehicle

·
Registered
6,541 Posts
Ford filled that gap with seam sealer.

Font Parallel Paper Drawing Diagram

applied as a bead then wiped with a solvent soaked rag to give a nice smooth surface.

·
Registered
10,869 Posts
Clean, apply a quality primer, then seam seal. I used POR-15 on the inside of mine to seal the quarter to the rocker, as you will get water in that area. Make sure the drains are open and clear.

I'd consider having your welder straighten up the door gap while he's there.

Reactions: MSMach1
1 - 8 of 8 Posts