Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have to replace my old speedo cable, as it is broken. I bought a new one, put it on the cluster, and it fit fine. Ran it down to the tranny.... low and behold, its different! The tranny has a little bolt you remove to pull the speedo cable out.... the new one just screws on, like it threads onto somthing.... whats up here? Did they give me the wrong damn cable?

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
forgive the stupid question, but is the gear installed on the replacement cable? Usually they do not come with a gear and you have to swap your old one onto the replacement cable. If you have a C4, I think the replacement cable is supposed to come with a metal "collar" type piece which slides down the cable housing to rest against the round flange directly next to where the gear fits on. The collar has a oblong shape to it with a hole for the bolt which bolts into the trans housing. The collar is actually the retainer for the speedo cable. As for a screw in look, with the gear off of the end of the cable, the end kind of looks like it has wide threads. Is this what you are seeing? good luck. It seems like you already have the hard part done - installing the cable to the speedometer. Before installing the speedo in the trans, I recommend spinning the cable with a drill or even by hand to see if the needle in the speedo moves. Sometimes you can install the housing connection at the speedometer, but the cable itself pulls back in the housing and does not go into the square drive of the speedometer.

G

·
0 Posts
Had the same problem a month ago. Easiest thing to do is take the old cable into NAPA and look in the catalog. After the part listings there are a couple pages of pictures of the two ends of the cable. Just match up the cables and pick your length. What you might have bought was a speedo cable for a model with a really high gear like 3.90 or higher (numerically) that actually screwed into a box between the speedometer and tranny to correct for such high gears.
Micah

G

·
0 Posts
Sounds like the wrong cable. I bought an aftermarket cable from O'Riley's auto parts for about $15 and it worked just fine after swapping the gear over from the old cable.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts