Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1968 mustang coupe
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Pulled out my c4 in my 68 mustang to replace a few seals. Now on the install running into a snag. The transmission cooler line that connect further back on the transmission might be stripped out. I’m sure the fitting on the line is. Now I’m looking at what to replace it with.

I have never done anything with an lines but have been looking for a excuse to make some...now appears to be the time. If I wanted to convert the hard line to an what fittings adapters to I need? I was thinking 6an is a close match to 3/8” as it looks like what the previous owner installed. I am not sure the fittings on the transmission and radiator. I may cave and go an external oil cooler too to helpout with cooling.

attaching some pictures of what I’m talking about

Attachments

·
Registered
953 Posts
Yes, -6 AN is 3/8"
AN fitting sizes are based on 16ths, so 6/16=3/8

The fitting on the transmission side is just a 3/8 pipe to 3/8 flare fitting iirc.

The end fitting is a flare on the tubing with a 3/8 male flare nut iirc. So if its damaged, you could cut the flare off, get another flare nut and reflare the tubing end.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
Back in the day when I had a C4 I replaced mine with stainless steel. Here's an OEM set from CJ.
The important things with these are the seats... the fittings on the lines as well as the ones in the tranny. No dirt, no scratches, and make sure both surfaces are shiny and clean when you install. Over-tightening with a chunk of dirt on one of the surfaces won't work. It will result in a leak.

·
Registered
1968 mustang coupe
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah it has stainless now and I think that’s what happened. I don’t want to do stainless steel again. I am not a fan of hard lines and it’s going to be a pain to reinstall if I get them again.

·
Registered
1968 mustang coupe
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, -6 AN is 3/8"
AN fitting sizes are based on 16ths, so 6/16=3/8

The fitting on the transmission side is just a 3/8 pipe to 3/8 flare fitting iirc.

The end fitting is a flare on the tubing with a 3/8 male flare nut iirc. So if its damaged, you could cut the flare off, get another flare nut and reflare the tubing end.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
i thought about that but it’s stainless so a pain. Would I go 3/8 pipe fitting to 6an fitting? Also is it 3/8 pipe fitting on the trans? I’m afraid the fitting is messed up on the transmission side. Was going to replace it to be safe

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
Stainless or not, the "pipe" fitting means that the thread surface is tapered, not straight like a standard bolt. The fittings and the input are tapered so that, when torqued to spec, there's no room for leaks. One surface tightens against the other so it's air-tight.

·
Registered
1968 mustang coupe
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I think we are talking about the same think. Skip the hard lines ;).

so I would buy 3/18 nps to 6an if I want to replace the transmission side fitting? Also I could buy a 3/8 inverted flare to 6an and try and reuse the fitting that is on the transmission currently correct? If so what about the fitting for the radiator side? Probably will buy both to be safe and not have the car down longer.

·
Registered
1968 mustang coupe
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So I bought stuff and things. I’m hoping to use the 3/8 fitting on the transmission to 6an adapter. Then replace the fitting on the radiator for the cooling line, I believe it’s the step up 1/8-27 to 3/8 so bought 1/8 to 6an adapter. Worst case I found female coupler 3/8 to 3/8 sound can use an adapter.

6an push lock fittings
Edelbrock 624013 Hose End Twist Lok Straight -6 Blk Anodized https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004BTB5XC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_9VkdFbKS0YX03
6an push lock hose
Edelbrock 634153 Hose Twist Lok Blk 6an 15 Ft https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003TQ2PW8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_XWkdFbMMD62YQ
1/8 npt male to 6an (radiator connection)
3/8 npt to 6an

1 - 8 of 8 Posts