Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else out there replaced the turn signal cam for their '67 and had trouble with it not being quite the same as the original, and not working perfectly because of it? I originally had one from NAPA, but their replacement for my year didn't fit at all. It was so big it couldn't even rotate in the steering column. I ended up getting Checker's off the shelf replacement which is almost perfect, but the little arms that catch and hold the cam are slightly smaller than the original. They do catch, but they aren't strong enough to work when the small metal bar (spring) that is supposed to create tension to keep the signals from going on when you hit a bump or something is in. My original bar spring was broken in half, so I made a new one, but the new cam refuses to work with it. I've tried trimming the hooks at the ends of the cam's arms to make them sharper, but they just aren't quite long enough.

I'm getting really tired of having to turn off my left signal after every right hand turn, and having to watch the left one constantly when I'm driving to see if it's been jolted on yet.

Has anyone else had better luck with replacement cams?

G

·
0 Posts
I havent done one a 67 but i just did one on my 66 and it went easy and works great !! i got mine frome npd and it fit and works perfect !!

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
The generic one that you can get at Checker's, Pep Boys, etc. is VERY close, but not close enough to the original. Get one from NPD or other Mustang parts house. The Scott Drake one works perfectly (for a while any way). We replaced the one in my son's '65 when we built his car about a year ago. It's already not canceling from a right hand turn, though ... they just don't make 'em like they used to /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
I replaced the cam on my 66 with one from Pep Boys (IIRC). Limited success. Bought a new replacement turn signal assembly (Ford) and I'm back in business. Seem to last 10-15 years as this is the second time for me.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
I got one from mustangs unlimited that you had to cut and slice on. when i went to install it i found the problem was that little flat piece of metal they used for a spring was broken and the replacement one didn't have one and i guess they expect you to transfer the old one? Anyhow i found an ink pen that had a metal pocket clip that was the same length as the broken one so i just snipped it to length, installed it and its worked perfect ever since.

My original problem was i would signal for a right turn, after i turned the arm returned to hard and would go to signalling a left turn.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts