Vintage Mustang Forums banner

Replacement Vehicle after Hit & Run ? - O/T

981 views 22 replies 17 participants last post by  Guest 
#1 ·
Some of you may have read last week how my daily driver (95 Maxima SE) was totalled by a hit and run driver. The cops know who she is, but won't prosecute because of witnesses having gotten only half of her tag #.

Anyway, I'm out one $8,000 car and am looking for a replacement. Beacause we live on acreage up in the Rockies, I'm thinking a small 4x4 pickup might be the ticket. Even though my wife works for GM and I can get a smokin' deal on a Chevy or GMC - I want no part of GM's small trucks. They aren't very good and they are terribly outdated.

I'm looking at Rangers and Dakotas and it really is a tough decision to make. The rangers have greater towing capacity, more power (comparing V6s), better mileage and I had great luck with a 95 ranger I used to own.

On the other hand, the Dakota has a considerably larger cab (a real but small rear seat), a 7/70 warranty and can be purchased for about 2k less right now for a comparable truck.

Do you guys have any thoughts? Both seem to be good trucks with different strengths.

#2 ·
I had a ranger (still wish I had)......V6 5spd A/C...bought it for 1400 bucks

Loved that truck!! I wished I had one of the 4.0 V6's (I had the 2.9, and rented a 3.0, THEY SUCK!!)

My dad has a ranger with the 4.0 and 5spd....quick little truck!

OK, final wish....I love to have a 4.0/5spd/A/C/4X4....

great trucks!

#3 ·
Glenn, I go thru the same thing whenever I buy a vehicle. Back in '98 I bought an Intrepid over the Taurus. Dodge gave us a better deal. The intrepid has been great. The only problem so far was a fuel pump out at 95,000 miles. I just replaced it two days ago and now its for sale because the wife wants a *#^&^ mini van. I'll be looking at Ford vs Dodge again. Good luck on the purchase. I've had a '93 Ranger (great truck) and now own a '89 Ranger (great truck). I like the Ford trucks better than the Dodge's, but that's just my opinion. My neighbor loves his Dodge Dakota and it does have a better warranty.

#4 ·
Just remember one thing.... MOPAR Trucks get POOR Gas Mileage!!! We know, we own a Durango with a small 4.7 V8, usually 13-15 MPG!!!!! Heck, my pony does better on the highway than that!!!!!!!!!!
JDiehl
70 76B Convert 351 C4v w/a shaker!!!!

#5 ·
I cought the SOAB that hit my 2002 ranger with only 4,500 miles on it. The whole side needs to be redone. The SOAB lives a mile and aquarter away. He got slaped with two tickets. Hit-and-run and Loosing control of his vehicle causing an accident. 8 Points for the Hit-and-Run. The kid is only 17 and drinking and driving already.
Brent

G
#6 ·
I think Dodge makes great trucks. I have had good experience with them. I used to have a Dakota and currently drive a new Ram and I don't really have anything bad to say about either truck. Definitely worth looking into. I don't have a lot of experience with Ford except that my Dad had a V-6 Ranger and it was really underpowered and didn't seem to hold up that well.

Hope this helps,

Brian

#8 ·
I had a very early Dakota with a V6 and it was a fairly solid performer. Why not look for a used fullsize F 150 or GM K1500 with there 5.0 L V8's. They'll run forever and gas mileage on the hiway around 18 on cheapo gas. Not to mention they're good tow vehicles.
Not to try to convert you to the darkside, my current daily driver is a Silverado ext-cab 4x4 with a 5.3L V8. Ride is pretty good, gas mileage good (18-20 hiway, less around town) and tows great. With a GM deal and the latest round of buyers incentives, you'd probably be stealing a nice ride. Just my $0.02.

Bob.

#9 ·
They won't prosecute because the witness only got half a tag number?

This does not make sense. Most crimes would never be solved if the police required a witness and video camera. Forensic evidence is used to solve a lot of crimes. The car hit yours so they should be able to find evidence of your paint on that car. Hit and run is a serious offense.

#10 ·
8 Point for hit and run and only 6 points for killing someone in an accident. I have all the evidence for his 95 forest green matalic Chevy S10 to prove he did it. I have the mirror, broken pieces to the mirror that fit into his truck and I found a paint chip stuck into my bumper. When he hit me dirt fell on the ground. that told me that he lived on a dirt street. I knew what I was looking for and it didn't take me long to find him.

#11 ·
I have a silverado..it's a '91 full size pick-up..4X4..it now has about 180K on it..runs like a top and for most of it's life it towed a 6,000 pound boat..I believe the GM commercials..*Like A Rock*..still looks new..no rust and keeps going and going and going

G
#12 ·
Rangers and Dakotas. My brother had a Ranger w/4cyl never had any problems. A buddy has a V6 Dakota that he uses for snow plowing. Both are good reliable "mini" trucks, if thats what you want. Pick the one that fits you better and feels best to you.
But frankly you would be far better off with a 1500 Silverado 4x4 short bed. Thats what I would buy if I were in your place. They ride great,are roomy,get great gas mileage and will out last and return a better resale for you than any of the "minis"

#14 ·
i would go with a ranger even it is used, chrysler products arent what they used to be. My uncle bought a 95 intrepid and he had so many ttroubles with it that he had rade it in, I heard dodge trucks lose theer trannys, not to be biased but id go with a ranger/auto/4.0/4x4 or go with a slightly used pre 97 f150

#15 ·
I kept going back to Chrysler products because of the price and design for years. They are the best designed and most creative vehicles on the market. But, the problem is they are the worst made! I drive really short miles, have always traded cars/vans/trucks in with 30 to 40k miles. They just fall apart. The 85 van was the last good one we had. (4 others since ) Just traded in a Concorde. Was a great car, except for the every other day problems ( $350 radiator hose, bad coil, all battery wiring and the battery, electric windows not working, rubber shrinking and fall off door and headlights) Just went with a Ford escape hope this works out. I have had my GMC (full size truck) since 91. After initial problems NO Problems. Best vehicle ever 1982 Datsun truck.

This is just my experience, but every Chrysler I have owned has been OK, but never really right. Including 70's.

#16 ·
Forget the truck idea: 2003 Cobra !!!

Yes, I've been drooling over them (390 supercharged hp). But I don't think I can sell it as a company car /forums/images/icons/wink.gif Dickson

#17 ·
I've had a Bronco and Ranger. Hated them both (they were bought used and POs could be part of the problem). I had a 91 Dakota with the small V8 and loved it, even though it slipped from park into reverse resulting in me getting an excellent view of the bottom of the Uhaul that was attached at the time.

G
#18 ·
Both companys make good trucks depending on the model you get. Right now trucks are a very hot market. I've been shopping for a used one to use after I get my new house for trees, lumber, furniture etc. There is a ton of garbage that belongs in a junkyard sitting on second hand lots!! Anyway, I used to work for a dealer who had a Dodge store in the family. Inside info was that the transmissions do not hold up, so you'll possibly be using that warranty a lot. The Dakota is a poor quuality truck, nuf said. The RAM is very very nice and a much better value there. They are nice and roomy, have a lot of pep, look decent, and are generally well made. Just watch out for those trannys. The Ford Ranger is an excellent truck all around. I've owned the 4 cyl and 6 cyl models. The 4 cyl was a decent running truck, but I minded having to keep my foot in it to get the desired acceleration I liked. The 6 cyl ran like a scalded dog. This truck was fast and would haul anything in sight without a complaint. I'd recommend the 6 cyl Ranger if you want the small truck. If you like the full size truck, the F series is an excellent choice. Stay away from the 4 cyl models, they cannot get out of their own way. I cannot understand why Ford would even consider putting a 4 in a full size truck. Again, get the 6 cyl or a V8. The 6 has enough power easily, and the 8 of course will move along nicely but your gas mileage will suffer accordingly. I cannot blame you for feeling as you do about the GM's. I find them quite plain and blah styling wise, they always rust out, and they get to looking tired very fast. In the S-10 series the 4 cyl is junk and cannot get out of its own way. The 6 cyl is a required option for that truck. I had a buddy who had a 6 cyl S-10 for over 200/K miles, it was rotting off its frame, and the interior was trashed from everyday use, but it did run. The larger models like Silverado are nice, but I feel they are way over priced and too plain for a luxury model. The 350 V8 is a nice running truck with lots of smooth power. If you can find a used one thats not rotted, or keep a new one from rusting they are nice. Not an easy decision..... I'd still have to go with the Ford Ranger 6 cyl though for an overall good score, an excellent value, all at an affordable price.

#19 ·
I've got a 96 and a 97 S10 pickups and both are great performers, One with 65000 miles and the other with 58000 miles and all they require is a oil change and lube periodically. BTW, I see you are replacing a ricer and if that is what you wish to have the S10's are Isuzu's with a GM badge...

#20 ·
I don't suppose you want to hear about my Nissan Frontier 4x4? <smile> It's a great truck, sucky mileage though. Ride is nice and it hauled three small block fords with nary a hiccup. Interior is comfy, the A/C is a little light but it doesn't look like any other truck on the road with it's BIG plastic fenders and bright red paint /forums/images/icons/smile.gif
D

#21 ·
I have a buddy with a '98 (?) Dakota, and it seems to have held up well for him, especially since I know what kind of driver he is. However, he doesn't really haul anything. He has had to take it in for a few small mechanical things, but nothing major that I can recall.

I've had an '84 Bronco II (same platform as a Ranger) and have a '98 Ranger 4 cyl. Reliable vehicles to be sure. Build quality I'm skeptical on (noticed this even on my 2001 Mustang Bullitt). The '98 Ranger needs a new battery cable, and I called the dealer earlier this week, and they want $157 for it, stupid design. That's outrageous, enough so that I'm going to take a lot longer look at the next truck I buy and make sure things are easier to replace.

On the flip side, that Ranger has seen a lot of abuse, and keeps on ticking. I don't think an S-10, or even my friend's Dakota, could take that kind of punishment. 2 of my uncles drive full size Chevys, and another friend of mine drives a full size Blazer, and they all have more problems driving on the street than my Ranger does playing in the dirt (and it's 2WD).

G
#23 ·
I just bought a 2002 Ford Ranger 4X4 regular cab and love it. I work for Delphi Automotive Systems and get discounts on the S-10, Ranger, and Dakota, and finally ended up with the Ranger for the following reasons.

1) $2500 rebate, although the S-10 had a $3000 rebate, and Dakota had $1500 with 7 year powertrain warranty.
2) $400 off through Ford because I graduated from college and they have some special plan for graduates.
3) I really wanted a regular cab ( I like the looks better than an extended cab) 4X4. S-10 doesn't offer a 4X4 reg. cab, and I could never find a 4X4 Dakota reg. cab. with what options I wanted on it.

Anyway, I really love my Ranger. I wanted a stick, but got "talked" into an automatic from my SWMBO. The 3.0L motor is a little sluggish verses the 4.0L motor, but does get a little better gas mileage. My opinion, Go for a Ranger.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.