Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had to replace the wiper arms on my 65' coupe, so I stopped by Napa and picked up a set. They probably aren't show quality, but seeing as how the other ones got accidentally thrown in the trash I was kinda short on options.

The new arms, however, don't fit onto the knurled shafts though. The shafts on the linkage are about 0.625" in diameter. the hole in the wiper arm is only about 0.55" dia.

I originally thought this could be solved easily since the arms came with new knurls or the correct diameter. The old knurls should be removed and the new ones pushed on and then held down with a bolt before the new arms can be mounted.

However, I can't find any way to remove the old knurls. It looks like there may have been some sort of nut holding them on but it's been filed down such that I can't even get a wrench on it.

I'm not sure if I should just order another set of arms hoping these fit, or find some way to remove and replace the knurls so these existing arms will fit.

This is really disappointing, since I just redid the entire brake and fuel system and got the car running for the first time since 03' or 04' and now I'm humbled by these wiper arms!

·
Registered
6,807 Posts
Nope, no nut on the end ... sort of a press/deform sort of process. Never heard of anyone removing these from the posts.

Wish you would take pictures of the process.... this is going to be fun ;)

I would find another set or a set of original arms

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
There should be a ton of original arms out there. I may even have some in my collection, but I would have to do some digging. Let me know if you get desparate and I will try.

I would not screw up the knurled posts as they are a part of the whole pivot assembly that attached to the cowel.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
More profile info. such as location would make it easier for anyone that might have parts or otherwise be able to help.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts