Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1966 Mustang Convertible with a discolored rear plastic window. The white top is in decent shape. Is it possible to change out the rear window, but still keep the original top canvas? If so, is there a recommended brand to go with with? Thanks in advance for any input or recommendations.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Yes, it is possible. I did that to mine several years ago. It takes some patience, and a whole lot of staples ( be sure to pick up the staple remover tool and an air powered staple gun) but can be done. I just used the brand sold by NPD, I currently do not remember the name.

·
Registered
74 Posts
There are electric staple guns atthat work fine work fine for stapling into rubber. Also do it on a warm day when the curtain is soft and pliable. It's also a good idea to use stainless steel staples.

·
Premium Member
5,173 Posts
I did my 67 a bunch of years ago. The zipper on the window I bought did not match what was in the car. I transferred the zipper from the old window to the new one and the rest of was not too difficult.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the feedback. Attached is a photograph. Its a one owner car and a lot of the car is original. I'm not sure if the top his original or has been replaced. I'm hearing EZ On makes a plastic rear window with a Brass Zipper as both Robbins and Kee use a plastic zipper.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Continuing my research. The zipper has Scoville written on it. I wonder if this is an OEM top as I literally cannot find any info out there regarding this brand? Someone else on this forum had a single owner survivor car in a build thread and it too had this brand top. I will probably transfer and sew the bottom half of this zipper onto the new replacement rear window.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts