Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When upgrading the 66 master cylinder to a dual reservoir master cylinder, one of the big issues is how to deal with the brake lines and distribution block. Since the 66 I am working on is a 4 wheel drum brake, manual, car, I am using a 67 master cylinder. NAPA sells a brass distribution block with an inlet and two oulets, plus a pressed on mount that is the exact dimensions to fit the factory holes in the engine compartment apron. The dist. block inlets take the same size fittings as are used at the connection to the front brake flex hoses. Thus, the original brakes can be reused. NAPA also sells inverted flare bushings the correct size to thread into the master cylinder and also match the distribution block. I bought two of the 3 way distribution blocks. One for the front brakes and one for the rear. turn one upside down and insert it into the factory mounting locatino and it is the perfect location for the factory rear brake line to bolt right up. NAPA sells a plug to seal off the unused outlet. Plumb the m/c to the inlet and the rear brakes are good to go. The other dist. block mounts slightly down and forward of the factory location and the stock front brake lines will fit. The only fabrication is to bend the pre-flared and fitted brake lines to fit between the m/c and distribution blocks. I'm still in the installation mode, but so far it looks like it will be a clean and simple installation. One of the inverted flare bushings was $9, but the remaining parts were less. If I can find the paperwork, I'll post the part numbers. It took 3 counter people about 20 minutes with their catalog to find the right parts.

·
Registered
22 Posts
where were you last weekend? i am doing the same thing now! please post part numbers, i am about to go to napap to see what all they have in the way of fittings.

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
The other dist. block mounts slightly down and forward of the factory location and the stock front brake lines will fit. The only fabrication is to bend the pre-flared and fitted brake lines to fit between the m/c and distribution blocks. ... so far it looks like it will be a clean and simple
Clean and simple with 2 distribution blocks? Hmmm.

Ken, you should have called me. I have a '67 drum/drum distribution block in my garage. Talk about clean and simple ... just mount it updside down in the '65/'66. Hook all stock hard lines up to it, and bend new lines from the DB to MC. In fact, I probably already have the lines (and MC) in my garage, too, from a few months ago when I pulled out the drum brakes off the '66 and went to disks. There's a couple of adapters that are needed, but you really can't get more clean and simple than that.

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
I haven't read the entirety of Ken's post, but I did mine with the stock dist. block. We just used a 3/16" plug from NAPA on the rear port and adapted the ports of the MC to the correct sizes with adapters from NAPA. Pardon me for thinking that some people make it unnecessarily complicated, especially when they're just swapping to a dual MC and not doing a disc conversion.

Here's a hokey diagram of how we did our swap. It was a 66 Fury drum brake car, but I used VMF's advice to do it and a Mustang setup is literally identical.

Clicky linky to huge pic

1 - 4 of 4 Posts