Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The engine in my 68 coupe is rocking side-to-side pretty bad, it rocks the whole car.
I’m pretty sure it’s the engine mounts. How easy is it to replace them?
Can it be done with the engine in the car?
Thanks for any help,

matt

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
I've changed the mounts in my 66 a couple of times with the engine in the car. It's not too bad. Mine is 100% stock and that may make a difference especially if you have headers.

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
20,743 Posts
If you want to know for sure it's the mounts, it's easy to check. Open the hood and start the car. Put it in drive and while holding the brakes, gas it a little bit. If the left motor mount is bad the engine will JUMP up about an inch and drop back down when you let off the gas. Put it in reverse and repeat to check the other side. Best done with someone standing beside the car and watching the engine but you can crouch down a bit and wath your air cleaner through the gap of the open hood and cowl panel. It will be pretty obvious, a bit of engine motion is normal.
Generally if one or both motor mounts have been bad for a while it's best to assume the transmission mount has been taking a beating too so it should also be replaced.
It's not terribly easy but you can replace all of them in the car. Unbolt one mount from the frame and jack up the engine on that side. You can lift the engine by using a jack under the oil pan but be sure to use a heavy piece of board or plywood under it or you will dent heck out of the pan. Use the same procedure with the transmission pan and the transmission mount. You may not be able to jack it quite high enough and may have to unbolt at least one side of the crossmember to wiggle it out.
An annoying job more than difficult really. You should be able to replace all three (if necessary) in an afternoon.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts