Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My tail lights only work after I smash the the pedal a couple of times. I thought to first replace the switch on the pedal. The conector came off easy enough. The question is taking the unit off the pedal.

There seems to be a strange pin holding the switch to the pedal. Is there a special trick to replacing the unit? Unfortunately my field of view is blocked by the stearing column.

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
Push the pin off and you will be able to get the switch out.
One sode goes over the stud and the other side hooks on.

I am guessing (on year) as you have not filled in your profile to tell us what year you have etc.

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
Yes, there's a trick. Hire a 1 foot tall midget, or a Japanese contortionist. The switch on a '65/'66 is a pain to even see, let alone get to, at least for us old farts. I just replaced the switch in my son's '65 last weekend. The switch was replaced in 10 minutes ... but it took 2 hours to be able to stand up straight again.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry John:

I have included that info in the bio.

The vehicle is a 1966 covertable without power brakes. Trying to remember the pin - do I turn the pin from six o'clock to nine o'clock and then pull it out?

Is the system under and tension to create flying objects?

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
No, you just push on it where it is. You have to reach up there in an awkard angle.
I usually sit on the ground and reach up with my left hand.
Good luck!

·
Registered
884 Posts
Well, there are two things in this world that are hard to do or impossible. This is one and the other is putting a door back together after you stripped it to a bare can.

Can't help you my hands are too big. Seriously, a long set of needle nose pliers can do wonders.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts