Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1967 Ford Mustang fastback
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever replaced a complete floor pan on a restored mustang? The reason i am asking is I have a 1967 mustang fastback that I restored about 15 years ago. Back then money was a little tighter and I took some shortcuts that i would like to correct. There are some spots with some pin holes and some patches that weren't installed in the best way. The rest of the body was restored correctly Removing the interior isn't a big deal.
Anyone have experience doing this?

·
VMF Ambassador
6,668 Posts
Yes, my car was done this way. Still not sure why I did that, but it became clear that I should replace the floor pans once I realized that the passenger side pan was only siliconed to the frame rails, not welded. We installed a one-piece floor pan.

There probably is a more "correct" way to do it than how we did it, but it ended up working out fine and the car is square and strong so... ? We pulled out the interior but left the transmission in place - didn't even remove the shifter. We also pulled the rear window to provide an access point for the floor pan. Cut the floors out up to the transmission cross-brace and back to the base of the rear seats, cleaned that all up and made sure old spot welds were drilled out and any rust was treated or repaired (just surface rust in my case). Then we hot-dog folded the one-piece pan a bit, stuffed it through the window, and then flattened it back out inside the car. Once it was aligned correctly, the pan was welded in and seam sealed and we were ready to rock and roll.

I think if you were doing it more correctly, you would weld bracing into the kick panel and rear quarter trim areas to keep the car's structure from shifting out of square. That's what I've seen other people do, at least. It is certainly needed on the convertibles. On my fastback, since this whole thing was done in a day, I guess it wasn't needed?

·
Premium Member
4,405 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes that is kind of the situation I am in. Im pulling all of the front end sheet metal to do some other work and I have to put new pins in the door hinges so they will have to come off so I'm thinking of doing the floor as well. Sometimes I dont know when to stop!

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
It generally never stops that's why my mantra is one thing at a time with driving in between each thing if possible. Though having your doors off for this one will help smooth it all along.
Maybe tape some moving blankets everywhere if you have nice paint to protect and beware how far welding and grinding crap can fly.
Are you sure that the long L/R pans won't do as good of a job as the full floor?
Either way think about adding some of the convertible pieces like rockers etc for stiffness or maybe the seat pans reward some if you need more leg room.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah I will have to protect everything and be really careful. I live in minnesota so I'm done driving the mustang until spring so I thought it would be a good tike to start this project.
Currently there are patches on both sides and the install wasn't that great and it's always kind of bothered me so I would just like to get it done correctly and be done with it ya know?
Good idea on the convertible pieces!

·
Premium Member
68 Mustang Coupe
3,307 Posts
The pan will fit through the door opening, if you take the door off. Where at in MN? I'm in Sauk Centre if you need a hand.

Reactions: rdnck1

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm down by austin so quite a ways south of you!
Good to know that it will fit in the door opening. One good thing about being in Mn is that there is a lot of time to get projects like this done.

·
Registered
262 Posts
A good youtube channel on replacing floorpans on classic mustangs... search around on the channel...

Example...

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone for all of the info you have provided.
So when you add the convertible inner rockers, they get installed over the current inner rockers? Also, does everyone recommend the one piece seat pan that connects each side? With both of these mods do you use the convertible carpet?

·
Premium Member
68 Mustang Coupe
3,307 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So is the correct order to install these is to put the rockers in first then the floor pan?

·
Premium Member
68 Mustang Coupe
3,307 Posts
So is the correct order to install these is to put the rockers in first then the floor pan?
I would think that would make it more difficult to get the floor pan in. My plan is to install the floor, pre-trimmed at the edges and then put the rockers in.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts