Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How would I go about supporting the vehicle? Could I just leave it on the ground on all 4 tires, or should I get it off and on jackstands?
Also, has anyone used the "Kel-Arc" spot weld gun from Eastwood that attachhes to an arc welder? If so, how good is it? I also have a wire-feed, so I'm covered at all bases.Thanks,Bob

·
Registered
227 Posts
You will have to get the vehicle off the suspension evenly and soildly supported on the framerails. Remove and replace one inner rocker panel at a time. I have got to do mine along with the front floorpans and torqboxes on a 67 vert. take a look at these links for ideas. I only have a mig welder. Try a search here for lots of how to knowledge.

tony

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have replaced the inner rockers on three camaro convertibles. On the camaro there is a galvinized boxed beam between the inner and outer rocker. So you need to be careful not to cut through the beam. When I did the work, I jacked the car up and put pads under the four pads of the sub frame. Doors were off. I did not support the door openings and didn't have any problems. It is suggested that you tack weld a bar across the upper part of the opening so you do not have it colapse in on you. I did take measurements and monitored my door openings. I never had any bad rust candidates, so the work went pretty smoothly. I cut the inner rockers with a sawz all and bent up my own inner rockers with a break. I made them in section, because of the differences in the bends of the car. Remember, this is a camaro I have done. I drilled a hole and welded on a new nut for the seat belts and I bought a air punch and punched holes for my spot welds. I spot welded them in place and then put the floors in and welded them off. To me it was super easy, the only bad things were the mess with all the rust and dirt coming off the car and the chiseling that I had to do. I have a couple of mustangs now and on my "hot rod" I am going to cut sub frame connectors into the floor and tie the frame. I would think about this if you are not to concerned about authenticity. This will really strengthen the car up. It is amazing how much flex a convertible has. It has also been practices to put in boxed frames on inner rockers. This could be a nice addition adding strength, but I don't think it will help for the burn outs! Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Been there, done that, got the dirty T-shirt...

As for the support, whatever is convenient and sturdy. I left mine on it's wheels for the majority and supported her under the tranny tunnel. Do one side at a time. Pay attention to what is under the car which you are cutting and welding (brake lines, fuel line, dog/cat, tools...). Jackstands will work okay too. I left my doors on to make sure I didn't get crazy on the measurements. I figure that a few mm of mis-measurement would be drastic here.

I used a flux core welder so I can't help you with the fancy/schmancy attachments. Good luck, check out my site for some insanity...

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mark, I checked out your pics, and if it's true you never welded before,it came out excellent. I should be o.k. also due to my fancy-schmancy attachments(L). I'm gonna give it a try this w/e. The worse that can happen is I screw up somewhere and learn something in the process. I figure if I don't try, I'm 'gonna be kicking myself for not doing it(plus I would've bought welders/attachments for nothing). Thanks,Bob

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Remember, it is all in the prep work. After hours of cutting, grinding measuring and clamping...the welding process only lasts an hour or so. Then more grinding, sanding, priming and painting :p . Have a great weekend.

Ive got my ti rod ends and idler arm bushings to mate up to the new front end suspension parts. Almost ready for the engine to go back in. Woo-hoo! Any year now ;) .

1 - 6 of 6 Posts