Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 65 GT Fastback finally needs some exhaust work. It is all original exhaust except the pervious/original owner had the resonators removed at some point. About 4 days away from home on the 5,700 mile trip from Nor-Cal to Minnesota I started to hear an exhaust leak that would quiet down when warmed up. You can see from the pics where the leak was.

So, as much as I love the sound of the original system, and it's still in pretty good shape (1 muffler starting to get a hole), it's time to install the Flowmaster long tube headers and HP-2 mufflers I've had sitting in a box for awhile.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,313 Posts
Save those muffler parts! Someone may want to restore them! Enjoy your new system.

Reactions: Mike the old grump

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
Got your moneys worth!

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Save those muffler parts! Someone may want to restore them! Enjoy your new system.
There is a way to restore the mufflers? I'd like to know more about that. Have any leads on how or who?

·
Premium Member
4,313 Posts
If they don't have major dents, they're not all rusted inside, and still do their job, I would imagine a good vat cleaning would do it. If the cases have to be opened, or the pipe had to be replaced, I think I really good welder could work wonders. I've seen NOS pipes out there, and a couple of transverse mufflers now and then. Can't remember the last time I saw 4-65 dated mufflers under a car. Heck, I would try...

·
Registered
5,220 Posts
a miracle for sure, I cant see that lasting 55 years. use or no use.
maybe some PO replaced with at one time with Exact OEM parts

·
Registered
817 Posts
Thanks for posting the pictures. Neat to see old original stuff! You might consider cross posting in the concurs section. (not sure what the rules are on that)

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
a miracle for sure, I cant see that lasting 55 years. use or no use.
maybe some PO replaced with at one time with Exact OEM parts
When I bought it from the Orig Owner 27 years ago it only had 67K documented miles on it. It turned 122K on the way back from Minnesota. Those are the original parts.

Reactions: myfirstcar66

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Not going to lie, I'd rather keep the leaky factory system than have to listen to another set of flowmasters :).
I agree, but the leak was the DS manifold split in half. I've really only, replace when needed, on the car. I drive it a lot and now we take it on road trips and don't want to deal with pieces falling off when 1,000s of miles from home.
I'm staying far away from the stupid loud Flowmasters that are all the rage for some folks. Going with the HP-2 Flowmaster. But I've got to get the headers sorted out first, right now they are not fitting and I'm waiting for Flowmaster(Holley) to get back to me.

·
Premium Member
4,313 Posts
Dibs on the old mufflers if you wanna sell em !

·
Registered
801 Posts
Going from that sweet old Mustang sound to the hollow "my soul has been removed" dull thud of the Flowmasters though? Aw man! Anything but that! Thanks so much for showing the cool factory stuff your car was still wearing! =)

·
Registered
262 Posts
Cool old stuff, time for a modest and tasteful upgrade tho, well done! Sell the old bits, or hang 'em on the wall.. and enjoy!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So what are in the guts of an original Ford muffler? Just metal baffles, fiberglass or some other packing material?

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts