Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just got my new flaming river box today and they recommend installing a u-joint in place of the rag joint. sounds good to me but how is it attached to the factory steering shaft? anyone done this???
the recommended part is 3/4x36 splines on both ends. do you cut the rag joint mount off??

·
Premium Member
3,428 Posts
I'm doing this on a 68 right now. I bought a Borgeson U-joint and a 5 inch stub shaft. I'm measuring the complete unit out of the car, and then cutting the rag joint off the steering shaft, inserting the stub shaft to the correct length and then pinning and welding the stub shaft to the steering shaft.

One thing on the stub shaft, it does not come with the "locking groove" cut into it; but a couple seconds with either a cutoff tool or angle grinder will cure that. I hope to have pictures of this soon. It's pretty straight forward.

I got the joint and shaft from www.borgeson.com

I got the idea from ART!

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
I'm with TAmustang, sounds like a great idea. Does anyone have pictures of their rag joint to u-joint conversion? .... and/or a list of parts that were used?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i contacted flaming river today about this and it appears there are 2 different lower shafts. they said "most" have a 3/4x36 spline under the rag joint mount or flange. just cut the flange off and bolt it together no extra parts. mine of course is not this way.... they asked " Is this a collapsible column by chance?"
it is and i have not herd back from them yet. i suspect mine will take some fabrication. will keep you posted..... it's never easy is it???

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
here is what flaming river recomends for those of us without the 3/4x36 splines on both side of the rag joint:

Not many Mustang models came equipped with the collapsible columns.
Due to the fact that you do have one of these columns, you may either
re-use the stock "rag joint,or exchange the u-joint from whomever you
purchased it through,for part number FR1742.
This joint will be a 1" smooth boreX3/4-36 spline.
If you decide to go with the u-joint, the stock rag joint's flange will
need to be cut off of the shaft,and then the shaft drilled through,and a
grade 8 shoulder bolt used to connect the joint to the shaft.

Best Regards,
Tech Dept.
Flaming River Ind.

i think i like the short shaft better but it's good to have options.
rick

·
Registered
5,066 Posts
well, Speedway wants ~ $49 for their u joint IIRC.
I would prefer to weld the joint to the unsplined end myself, but that's just me.

I guess I have an oddball or something. Mine just unbolted from the steering box spline in ~ 10 minutes. I dont get all the 'cut off the rag joint flange' hooey.

Im prolly just stupid and cant visualize what they mean.

·
Premium Member
3,428 Posts
Lman, I believe they're talking about the steering shaft side of the ragjoint not the steering box side.

My 68 steering box side unbolts, but the shaft side had to have the rag joint end cut and a stub shaft welded in.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Lman, are you saying that both halves of your rag joint silliness are splined and you just inserted the speedway motors u joint in hte same place?

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
I bought a 3/4" u-joint from Speedway that had splines on one side that match the Flaming River box. The other side has no splines and it's welded directly onto the steering shaft.

After pressing off the rag joint coupler, I measured and cut off a section of the steering shaft.
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/3/web/2379000-2379999/2379107_23_full.jpg

Then, I welded the steering shaft to the u-joint.
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/3/web/2379000-2379999/2379107_25_full.jpg

I originally got the idea from reading this very thread.

Thanks VMF!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts