Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have my pan dropped and starter out of the way. I have my rear cap off and the rest loose. My seal is a rope seal (ugh). I am having a heck of a time getting it all out. There is about an 1 1/2" left on the passenger side end and about an 1" in. I have tried the put a screw in one end and got a lot of it out that way. I am trying to push from the other side but I believe there might be a pin on the upper side as when I measure my push rod it seems to be right in the middle so I can only assume there is a pin.

So how can I get the rest out without pulling the engine and will a pin get in the way of a new Fel-Pro seal being installed? This is my last step before getting her back on the road.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
I thought the pin was only in the cap, not in the block? I could be wrong.

·
Registered
35,216 Posts
The only pin I have ever seen on these was in the cap. Most likely it's just held by the crankshaft.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I can't figure out why my push rod keeps getting stuck half way around the top. I should be close to having it all out. I may have about 1/2 to 3/4" left. Do you think I can take the Fel-Pro and push it around and see what happens?

·
Registered
871 Posts
No, It will not. The rope is just old and dried out, stuck to the block, you just have to work it out, keep at it. use alot of w/d spray.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Any particular device that works well for pushing it out? Everything that I get my hands on that is small enough bends to easy.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wound up not needing the extractor. I just finished up getting all of the rope out using a 2" coarse screw getting a little bit out at a time.

·
Registered
806 Posts
A little help...do you have a feeler gauge? Or a very thin piece of tin or metal. As you push the new seal back in, it will want to catch on the sharp edge of the block. A bent feeler gauge, into a V, will help the seal slip in without damaging it. Use it as a shovel to slip the seal in. It just so happens a feeler gauge is the perfect width of the seal groove. Little bit of oil or wd40 helps.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I didn't have any issues getting the seal in. I put a little oil on the groove side and slide it right in.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Here's a question, Should I replace my oil pump pick up tube and screen While I have the pan off?

·
Registered
7,056 Posts
Here's a question, Should I replace my oil pump pick up tube and screen While I have the pan off?
Why do you ask about about the tube and screen? Any visible damage? Clean and be done with it. If your were to replace anything, i might be the pump, But only then, if the clearances between the rotor vanes and cover show signs of wear. Is this a high mileage engine? Hopefully, you offset the parting lines of the seal?

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Why do you ask about about the tube and screen? Any visible damage? Clean and be done with it. If your were to replace anything, i might be the pump, But only then, if the clearances between the rotor vanes and cover show signs of wear. Is this a high mileage engine? Hopefully, you offset the parting lines of the seal?
I see some crap on the screen. No visible damage that I can see. There is approximately 131,000 miles on the car. I have no idea when the engine was rebuilt as I believe it has been at some point. Timing chain as a 1980 date on it. But I have no idea. But no signs of damage or undue wear.

·
Registered
7,056 Posts
I see some crap on the screen. No visible damage that I can see. There is approximately 131,000 miles on the car. I have no idea when the engine was rebuilt as I believe it has been at some point. Timing chain as a 1980 date on it. But I have no idea. But no signs of damage or undue wear.
Ok, just clean it with a good solvent to insure it's clear to pass oil. Any idea of the oil pressure?

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok, just clean it with a good solvent to insure it's clear to pass oil. Any idea of the oil pressure?
To be honest I don't remember but I know it was a good pressure but my tank was dented in and the main reason for me changing it and doing other "stuff" while I'm in there such as the rear seal.

I had to remove the pump so I could loosen the last 2 caps to get the seal out. When I went to put the pump back in, it then dawned on me that I didn't see any type of gasket. So I'll be putting a new gasket on the oil pump.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts