Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any trick to it are is it straight forward? Anyone that has done this in the past, how did you go about it? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Yeah not too bad of a job, I had to use a jack to make minor ajustments to get the bolts at the lower control arms installed.

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
Took less than an hour to do both on my '65. Just did this a few weeks ago. I jacked the front up and loosened the strut rod bushing nuts by a fair amount, then their mounts on the LCAs until it all was loose. Then just finished removing the strut rod busing nuts and rod LCA mounting bolts. About the only trick is to ensure that the bushing ridges are in the mounting hole in the frame bracket. I got it all close, tightened it somewhat and then dropped the car back down to finish the job. Worked ok and improved the ride...don't use poly because it is not forgiving like the Moog parts.

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
One good trick is to replace the mess with Street or Track or similar adjustable strut rods. They soften the ride besides giving a handling upgrade.

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
Use rubber. I used the stiffer "Midolyne" bushings and they shredded on me.

If the car has the original bushings the center bushing will be bradded on both ends. You have to grind off one end to remove the bushings.

·
Registered
8,677 Posts
68RCodeConv said:
You have to grind off one end to remove the bushings.
This is a key to getting the originals off. I spent a good hour trying to figure out how they come off. I think there is a sleeve in the center of the bushings that gets pressed so the ends flare, holding the bushings in.

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
Wow, I don't remember any troubles like that when I replaced mine on my '67. I'm pretty sure they were the originals.

Frank

1 - 8 of 8 Posts