Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm ordering a new tail light panel for my 65 coupe from mustangs unlimited. Is it worth buying the original tooling for $119.95 or do you think I can get away with the repro for $49.95?

Just wondering if anybody has had any success with either.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
the way i look at it, when replacing metal, every car is different so no matter what peice you get your going to have to put some work to get the fit and finish how you like it. so why not save some money

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was thinking along the same lines. I also hear from a lot of people that have used the original tooling parts that the lines tend to be much less crisp. Not that there are really a lot of lines in the tail light panel anyway, but...

·
Registered
209 Posts
I have a different opinion. I have an american designers repro that is straight as an arrow...it doesn't have the slight curve that is correct. I have a couple of NOS and a few "orignal toolings" that are identical that do have the correct "curve". I will say however, that the american designers repro is the only one i've "laid hands on".

SamG

·
Registered
48 Posts
No problem with the repop panel,has to be fitted anyway you go. original tooling is still not gonna be crisp as NOS. I have done several with repops, all from MU.

·
Registered
8,119 Posts
Replaced the tail light panel in my 66, fit was fine and it was a repro piece.

One suggestion would be to give Matt at Ponderosa Mustang a call. Better to give money to a fellow enthusiast that's great to deal with.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts