Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks to VMFer TSchmidt I learned that a '68 GT coupe I am looking into would be in need of new tq boxes if purchased.

I had tq boxes replaced on a previous '68 Stang but we did much more then just tq boxes.
Can tq boxes be replaced by just removing the bad ones? Can this be done from the underside of the car w/o taking much else apart/off?
Also, if the tq boxes are the only things needing to be replaced, anyone have an estimate of how much this might cost? $500, $1K? I know the boxes themselves are cheap.

Thanks,
Mike

·
Premium Member
3,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, that is what I was thinking also. I'd really like the seller to get some more pics or video for me of the car on a lift.

Mike

·
Premium Member
3,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had a fellow VMFer look at the car yesterday. That is how I found out about the bad torque boxes. He wasn't able to get the car up in the air to get a great look under it.

Mike

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
21,521 Posts
The thick metal of the torque boxes is welded to the thinner sheetmetal of the "toe pans". It's hard to believe the floor pans aren't rotted if the more robust boxes are. There's always more rust than you can see until you start taking stuff apart.

·
Premium Member
3,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I hear ya /forums/images/icons/smile.gif I'm am waiting to see a video but I think I may shy away from this one with the rusty torque boxes...

Mike

1 - 7 of 7 Posts