Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone know what tools and steps are needed to replace the z-bar in a '65 mustang? i have a free day today, and i'd like to go into this procedure prepared. Thanks all,

Jones

College Station, TX

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
I think that all you really need is a 9/16" combination wrench and a pair of vice grips. The grips to grip the spring that goes connects to the throwout bearing fork and the combo wrench to loosen the two bolts under the steering column and the adjustment on the clutch rod. I remove the spring first, the nut on the clutch rod (where you adjust the clutch pedal free play) second and then remove the bracket that resides under the steering column in the engine bay. It is a good iea to chedk the nylon ball on the bracket and the mating ball on the block, make sure the fiber washers are in place on either end and lubricate both ends and the pivot where the lower rod contacts the bearing fork. Shouldn't take more than and hour to remove and replace.

...modified '65 convertible...

·
Registered
330 Posts
Follow all Victor's steps but also make sure to line the bracket on the frame rail up with the frame rail itself as this keeps everything lined up.
I replaced mine once without doing that and a coupla' miles down the road the rod on the equalizer snapped off.
Oh well, live and learn.

1965 Mustang coupe
1961 Thunderbird
1983 Monte Carlo Conv.
Yeah, thats right...Convertible!!! With flamethrowers!!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts