Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My '65 Convertible has the original date coded bumpers that are in really great shape although they do need to be replated for the restoration that I'm starting. Would it make sense to simply install the NOS bumpers that I bought a while back or is it worth it to pay extra to get the originals replated? Can the dates be saved during the replating process? Any other thoughts? Thanks :cool:

G

·
If your original front bumper is in good shape, not bent or rusted, then by all means have it re-chromed!! The rear is not so imperative because the date is very hard to read. But, if you know that is also the original bumper and it is a good candidate for re-chrome, then absolutely do it too. The ease of installation and fit quality will far outweigh even the best NOS bumper.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Gary,
if your intent is to restore the car to concours levels and show it regularly, I would replate the originals and use them. They make for great detail work, fit properly, and will look great. If your intent is to restore the car then drive it for lots of fun, then use the other bumpers. Save the originals for future use. I've got a number of originals just hanging.

MMV

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input. I was tending toward the replating idea but I wanted some expert input before I decided.

Can those original dates be saved when they are replated? ???

·
Registered
55 Posts
Gary,
shouldn't be a problem. I've had bumpers plated and the dates always show. It wouldn't hurt to let the plater know how you want them to look after their process.

MMV

·
Registered
6,807 Posts
I agree with Mark ... you need to mention the detail to the plater. I have seen plenty that were filled during the plating and buffing process

During my next set I think we'll see if we can skip a step or so and not do the "triple" plating since I have a real nice original with really crisp dates.

Most replating is much thicker and shinnier that original anyway

1 - 6 of 6 Posts