Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
Consider this, if you plan to use a car cover now and then, they are a p.i.a. to put on over the mast, especially by yourself outside! In hindsight, I wish I had tried one of those hidden antennas before I actually cut the hole in my nos fender to mount the repop antenna. Now that I have done that, I am planning to put a power antenna there instead.

·
Premium Member
6,792 Posts
I wish I had tried one of those hidden antennas before I actually cut the hole in my nos fender to mount the repop antenna. Now that I have done that, I am planning to put a power antenna there instead.
I tried a supposedly good hidden antenna on my mustang, reception was crap no matter where I put the thing. Now I have a power antenna mounted on the passenger side rear quarter and all is well.

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
I don't recall what a/m antenna I used, but the reception is crap. I bought the infamous auto custom am fm radio and new speakers...it all sounds like crap, even when there is no static..... I have a loud jba exhaust system so when I drive, thats what I hear! Truth be told, I am fine with just the exhaust sound when driving!

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
I plan on just using a radio and bluetooth from my phone. Could alway go old school and use one of those 12 disc hidden CD players, no antenna required :)

·
Registered
5,629 Posts
Better call and ask for a comparison unless Beatleguise BeetleRuise BeetleRick contributes.
The one i just got from NPD the grommet in the kick panel was way undersized. I generally don't buy the cheap option but I'll have to see about the invoice for the number.
I'm thinking about getting one that fully retracts instead.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
My antenna is there for looks. It's not connected to the radio, and I don't think the 56 year old radio works anymore.

·
Registered
36,494 Posts
Who’s got the best one and looks like the original?
Well, the ACP antenna and Drake antenna both run around $20. I've mostly used the ACP, and as I recall, it'd be hard to tell from OEM. Carpenter has the best, and at $80, it better be.

·
Registered
36,494 Posts
Sure. The OEM type gets pretty tall, meant for maximum AM reception. For FM use, extend it to 31".

·
Registered
37,688 Posts
I ditched the fixed mast antenna for a $20 Amazon power unit and a hidden toggle switch. Don't need an antenna to listen to CD/DVD/MP3.... Looks close to "original"....for what it is....

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
Mine goes up when I turn the radio on, down when off. I got it from a local automotive store.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thats looking good, I was trying to figure out if I wanted to cut a hole in the fender or not.
Do those hidden antenna’s work??

·
Premium Member
6,792 Posts
Do those hidden antenna’s work?
My experience was reception of local station signals only and even those fade in and out annoyingly. When you think about it, if they were any damned good auto manufacturers would have installed them as standard equipment years ago.

·
Registered
5,629 Posts
Thats looking good, I was trying to figure out if I wanted to cut a hole in the fender or not.
Do those hidden antenna’s work??
Not if you have it deep in the metal box. Snaked around and dangling from the sun visor was near perfect FM reception for me(50+ miles from transmitters), there was a huge difference between it laying in the floor and even laying in the seat.
Were I building up i'd try laying it under the dash pad atop the metal.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts