Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just courious who has purchased 65-66 fiberglass interior panels and how they fit and compare to the originals? I need a set and am looking at buying a set. Thanks, Dan

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
I haven't purchased any of the re-pops, so I can't help you there. But how do they compare in price to good used ones? I see them pretty frequently on the auction site.

If they don't have deep scratches, they can be stripped (with fiberglass stripper) and made to look brand new. Just a thought...

·
Registered
913 Posts
I biught a set years ago. I beleive they were Pro Products. They were not "too" bad. Grain is not as pronounced, there are no reinforcements on the backside so they are warpy, and the person who trimmed the edges took off too much so they are short in a few places. I ended up using originals and the repops are still hanging on the wall.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
I bought some for my 68, like noted earlier, they do not have the metal reinforcement on the back side, but compensate with a thicker glass. Mine fit fine, I had no major concerns, and the grain seemed the same except down low, where the sides of the rear seat buns cover them. I beleive they were made from a used set, meaning the mold was a used nice pair, and may have just transfered the wear from those to the pattern/mold.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
I agree with Dan, try and find a set of used ones in good condition. Thats what I did. I paid $80 for two and they were in great shape. I plan on painting and installing them this weekend. Check Ehay and on here as they get offered up from time to time. Main thing is make sure all the fiberglass is in good shape (Unless you want to patch them) and all the tabs for installation are there.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts