Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are they worth a damn? I need new ones for the front and back. One of the pieces is bent on the rear molding, and none of them fit with the new paint/emblems/etc.

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
The ones they put on mine were so-so. Not a bad look after installed but real light weight. The shop said it was cheaper to buy new than re-finish my old ones. Wish I would have known better then. Still have the old ones but not planning on anything with them now.

·
Registered
818 Posts
The 65-66 front moldings fit fairly well. The fastback rear moldings aren't even close. Unless they fixed them recently, the curve at the bottom is way off. I tried them about a year ago and had to junk them and buy originals.

·
White Elephant Guy
12,969 Posts
Totally OT: Ford_Crazy, are you planning on going to Silver Springs in January? I'd love to see your fastback in person one day, you did an awesome job with it.

·
Registered
787 Posts
So what you guy's are saying is that none of the repop moldings fit a fastback very well!! Thats a real bummer cause my car is in the paint shop right now and my moldings are a mess from all of the hail dings. Plus some of the chrome areas are bubbling a bit. I am installing all new glass(tinted) and at the same time I was planning on replacing the moldings with new repo's. Is there any aftermarket guy's that have more precise fitting moldings than others or are they all the same?

Dave

·
Registered
818 Posts
Yes, I will be at Silver Springs. See you there! I bought my repro window moldings from NPD. Like I said, the front repro molding fit OK. The rear was a problem. I found an original set that wasn't too bent up. I then paid way too much to have them straighten and polished. I also used repro rear glass from NPD. The rear fastback glass is nice. Try to find a glass installer with a lot of experience with older Fords. Even then, the moldings can be difficult to get perfect. I look at 65-66 Mustangs at every show I go to and they all seem to have some window trim issue. I’m fairly sure they came from the factory that way.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
I got my windows put in today...along with the repo moldings.

I bought new moldings front/back for my 65 fastback, because my originals were dinged up. BUT, NEVER AGAIN will I buy repo moldings. they were too short on the back (gap at the bottom, center) and the front driver side was wayyy high up in the air.

On top of all of that, when the window guy was installing them, he dented my new repo stuff, which is easy to dent, and chipped my paint........ very disappointed!!!!

·
Premium Member
4,935 Posts
How bad are your originals?
If you need just a few pieces
that are bent you may be able
to find some decent originals
to make a good set, I have a few
extras, leave me a PT if interested.
I had my originals straightened
and polished by a local shop and
they turned out great!

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
i think im going to have my originals re-done also.
i bought new ones so i could have nice clean dent free chrome, but the new ones ended up getting dented.
good thing i kept my originals.

so i'm totally for the originals and totally against repo chrome now.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts