Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

It's been 26 hours since I finished the paint job on the 70. The paint progression was adding gold pearls to the green base coat, I think 1 teaspoon in 3/4 gallon, might have been two teaspoons. I shot 2 coats of the base. Next, I used a blending clear with gold particles added to it and shot one coat of that. I added about 5/8ths of a teaspoon for the whole car - about 2.5 quarts of the blending clear. In retrospect, I could have cut that down by about 1/4 teaspoon. Next, I added House of kolors Ice White pearls to the clear coat - 2 teaspoons per quart and shot the car once. I buried that under two more coats of clear. The effect is really different. The car looks solid green when in shadows or indirect light. With light on the car, if you look at it one way you see the ice white pearls as bright sparkles which pop out at you. Look at the car another way and you see the ice white pearls and also the gold specs. At night, indirect light or low lighting pops the pearls and specs out at you and you don't see the color of the paint - too dark. The sparkles look really cool. I am going to cut and buff the car this weekend and see how it goes.

ok, the downside. I had spot primed a few areas of body repair. 5 coats of the base did not even out these areas and with careful examination, you can see lighter areas where the repairs were. Bummer about that. Also, the chrome that I painted over suffers from the same problem of being lighter than the rest of the car. I figure I had too much gold pearl in the paint, but geeze, 3 coats of that stuff should have evened it out.

I will be buying more paint to paint the bumper and spoiler. I am tempted to go over the chrome one more time with the new green paint to darken it, then add a little gold pearl to lighten a bit and shoot once more, then clear coat with the same pearls/particles to match the car body.

I can hardly wait to get the wheels on the car, cut and buff it, and drive it out into the sunlight for the full effect. I only hope that it does not come out like a classic mustang pimpmoble.

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
Ken, glad to hear that it, for the most part, came out good. I was a little worried about you a) running out of base coat and b) running out of energy, the other day when Steph and I came by.

I did notice in your update that you were gracious enough not to mention that some BONE HEAD dropped your rear wing in the drive way and caused more delays in the painting while you filled the divets left from the driveway surface. That BONE HEAD could have been real embarrassed if you'd mentioned it :eek:

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
I'm really looking forward to seeing your pics of the finished car! :: Mebbe you could catch an angle where the pearl would show through to the pics! THAT would be waayy cool too! ::

Hopefully, in a couple months,,,,,,mine will be painted!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts