Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Though to pass along this update on a couple of parts suppliers so that others might avoid a problem down the road.

First, there was a great article about a brake supplier out of Texas, Praise Dyno Brakes, who provided a complete drum brake set up for one of the magazine's 1965 project cars. I called the company and ordered their 4 wheel drum brake kit, consisting of cyrogenic (frozen treated) drums, wheel cylinders, kevlar linings, and new hardware. Came to just about $700 altogether. Yeah, this almost double what anyone else charges for the same thing, but the magazine article raved on and on about the stopping power, heat dissapation of the drums, yadda yadda yadda. Said it was as good as disk. The company was pretty good on the phone, but claimed not to make the parts for a 65 stang, until I read their part numbers back to them, from the magazine article. These are for a 4 lug, 6 cylinder 65 fastback. Manual brakes. They were a little slow getting the parts shipped out, about an extra 2-3 weeks, but they were nicely packed, labelled well, great instructions so I thought, "on you go this weekend" NOT!

See, there are front HUBS that are not part of the front brake drums. How about that? My old hubs were looking a little warped, the wheel studs were starting to become loose, and of course who knows how old those bearings and races are. Time for new hubs! After about 6 weeks of looking, I found 4 lug hubs with a company out in PA. But, those were back ordered. 2 weeks later I cancelled and went to Mustang Plus in Stockton. These guys always give great customer service. There might be a goof or two (I've encountered) but the service is good and they are willing to make things right. Anyway, they had the hubs and new studs. Guess what, took the wheel studs and hubs to a machine shop down the street from Mustang Plus and they reported that the wheel studs were the wrong size (too large) to fit the hubs! OK, that's one learning point - don't buy the wheel studs from Mustang Plus, they don't fit the 65 4-lug hubs. Again, Mustang Plus was good about it and gave me a complete refund. After 4 tries, NAPA finally got the correct size for me.

Now, here is the obscure goofus that will bite you in the a**. The hubs do not work with the Praise Dyno Brake front drums! I got the entire thing together, spun the drums and hub together on the new bearings, with the new linings, etc. installed, Sounded fine, just the slightest drag and no scraping noises. Put on the front tires, and started the test drive. Yikes, metal on metal! sounded like a band saw cutting through steel. Sounded like the car was running on rivits instead of brake linings. After several attempts to figure out what was wrong, it turns out that either the hubs are too skinny by about 1/32nd or 1/16th of an inch, or the drums are too deep by the same amount. The inner flange of the outer circumference of the drum was riding against the backing plate! The moral of the story is that the Mustang Plus hubs and Praise Dyno Brake drums are incompatible for a 1965, manual brake I6 car. Go figure. It's only taken me 3 months to do a weekend brake job.

The fix is going to be to have the drums turned at a machine shop to take down that flange. The easy things to do would be to put a grade 8 washer over each wheel stud before putting on the brake drum. don't think is too stable. Long-term - the machine shop.

Anyway, thought to pass this one along as there is no way a person could tell these parts would not go together. Oh yes, another little tidbit. Inline tube has great stainless steel brake lines/braided steel flex hoses. Good quality. ONly problem is that they don't ship what you order. I ordered a rear axle set for my I6 car and they sent me the V8 rear axle set, which offsets the rear distribution block about 2 inches from where it should be, so it cannot bolt down secure to the axle, using the breather tube. Got to re-order.

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
I put praise dyno brake shoes on my 70. everything fit just fine. I wish that I hadn't put there springs on though, they're a bit stiff.

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's good to read. Like I wrote, they are very helpful on the phone and have a good quality product. It is just this one application that has a little goofus to it, and even then, I don't know whether it is the brake drum or the hub that is the culprit. Hope you are enjoying your 70! Great time of year to be on the road with a classic car.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts