Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
reposting this to get help from weekend traffic who may have missed it, thx:
Recently had my '65 repainted original silver blue w/ clear coat. It looks great, but I notice that I have some hairline cracks along the drip rails. Anything I can use to fill them and then just use a fine line of touch up paint over them? Not a big deal, but as you know, the better that you make some parts look, the worse it makes other things work. (Currently saving up for styled steel wheels to replace beat up hub caps!)
Thanks, Mark

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Those hairline cracks in the drip rail caulking cost me almost $1,000 to fix. The dew here on the coast contains some salt which leaked through the cracks and rusted the drip rail/body attachment. Take those cracks seriously. 3M makes a product called Drip Check and Heavy Duty Drip Check. I would try regular Drip Check. It is very thin and watery so it will run into the cracks. It cures as a very strong caulk. Good Luck.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Gas Pumps i sright on the money. If nothing else, I'd just brush over it after it sets up. Sounds like the seam sealer finally dried out all the way since the paint shop applied it. That's a good reason to do the work in stages sometimes. I've let my seam sealer sit a month or more before I top coated it.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have the same cracks in my drip rails. My paint job is now 8 years old and some of those cracks have blossomed quite nicely into unsightly bubbles under the paint or have some rust bleeding through. Rest assured I'll be paying closer attention on the next paint job...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts