Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi
i didnt know if anyone was going to see the message i would write next so i reposted. thanks for all the advice on the car in pennysylvania. my parents werent going to let me get a mustang until i graduated in june, until this mustang came around. for me the improvements it has are huge, because once i get a mustang its going to be a long time before i have more money to make improvements on it. i know not to get a rusty car, i havent had the guy send me pics of the car yet. i need to talk to him today. and i wont save money shipping it back, because we are definately not going to spend $1000 to get it back home, its out of the question, thats the concern my parents have. im going to contact the seller and ask for pics of undercarriage for rust. IM NOT STUPID! im not going to buy a car across the US without seeing it first! i have the means to fly free out there, and we were going to check it out. another concern is finding a reliable mechanic to spend $150 to have them completely examine the car inside and out. "ourmach1" a vmfer told me he found a classic car inspection online that completely investigated the car for around $150. i want to do that, but dont know whether i can find one of those companies that can look at it since its in pennysylvania, i dont know how it works. heres what the ad says, please no one buy this out from under me:
"Owned since 1991 302 V-8 (Jasper Class II installed winter '96). Holly 500 cfm 2bbl Comp Cams roller rocker arms & lifters Hooker aluminized headers Dual Flowmaster mufflers K&N air filter Petronix ignition T-5 5 speed trans, rebuilt, installed Spring 2001 Hurst shifter 14 inch Cragar 5 star chrome steel wheels (on Car) w. BF Goodrich T/A Radials also includes five 14 inch original style steel wheels, 4 w. Michelin Artic Alpine snow tires, 1 in trunk for spare and four hub caps Also included uninstalled New rear upper body panel, new radiator support Original Power steering pump & Other spare parts Fuel & Temperature gauge need recalibration, body has some rust, underbody is rust free"
if this is really rusty, WHICH it MIGHT be, i WILL NOT buy it. if it is alittle rust i will buy it. iwill get proffesional advice to look at this car somehow. now has your opinions changed?
thanks a lot

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
My opinion won't change if there's any rust visible - just like termites, you see one, there's hundreds more. What part of PA? There are several Mustang shops/VMFers that could take a look. Pictures hide a lot, you need to get under the car personally and poke around. You really can't find a clean 67 coupe in CA?

·
Registered
795 Posts
New rear upper body panel, new radiator support
that there is telling you it was either hit or has rust and rot.

Michelin Artic Alpine snow tires, 1 in trunk for spare
and that it is driven in the winter so the body gets exposed to salt. salt=RUST AND ROT

be carefull

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks,
i just talked to the father of the son whos selling it. the son is on his honeymoon so i couldnt talk to him. the father said it does need some body work, but its only on the quarter panel and front. he said its not completely completely rust free on bottom, but isnt bad. there isnt rust in cowl or door jam area.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Reading the ad alone and taking into account that the car is in Pennsylvania would prevent me from even calling the guy in the first place.

·
Registered
5,066 Posts
this is the only sane way to resolve this. Contact a Penn VMFer and beg, plead, pay, whatever it takes :: to get him/her to look at it up close and give an honest appraisal to you.

A northeast car with "has some rust" in the ad does not bode well. I can't believe you can't find the same or better in Cali....sheesh, Cali is overrun with Mustangs, and at last count at least 80% had a T-5 installed ::. But, whatever....your shekels, your game.

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
now has your opinions changed?
Nope, sorry... :p

It comes with SNOW TIRES for cripes sakes ::

·
Registered
7,032 Posts
I'm even more against it after reading this post. Snow tires? Father says underside isn't rust free when the ad says it is?
But mostly, I don't see ANYTHING about this car that would make it worth going this distance to see or buy. Buy a solid rust free car in California. Run, don't walk, away from this car. I'd bet money it's a rust bucket, and believe me, I've had a lot of experience with those!
If, after virtually everyone here tells you to forget about it, you still want to pursue it, let us know where in Pa it is. If it's in western Pa. I'll go look at it for you. If it's somewhere else, I'm sure someone else will volunteer. I don't think you have to worry about any of us buying the car out from under you, so please let us know where it is so that maybe one or more of us can help.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Hey, if you live in Cal. look for a local car. I really dont get it. I think you might really naive to rust. Hey kid, the bolts don't turn to loosen , they just break OFF.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well, im pretty sure now that im not going to get it. im still going to get pictures from the son when he gets back from his honeymoon, but im pretty sure im not getting it. well then, i havent found a manual 4 speed for a while. can anyone help me out and just keep your eyes out for a 4 speed, rust free lol, 67 coupe for around $6000. for that price i might be able to get it lower.
thanks for the help

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
You asked for advice, you got it...

NEVER buy an "almost rust-free" car from the rust belt.. Especially WITH SNOW TIRES! :(

Take a few minutes and check out Midlife's site. Randy started with a car that was visually pristine (even I thought so), he has replaced vast amounts of sheetmetal over a two year restoration.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Yeah wanta67coupe... listen to this guy.. he knows bodies...

*ba-da-boom boom ching!*

:D

Find a car from Arizona or the south. I lucked out with my car being in Iowa and having very little rust. Don't bother with northern cars unless you have some attachment to it.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks. i had originaly completely ruled out buying a 67 on ebay without seeing it. now that i was told of the classic car inspections for $150 or more, i think thats what i'll do. theres a lot of selection on ebay. thanks again

K

·
0 Posts
I don't understand. Why are you waiting? Buy it now. Your life is almost over, why wait? A car like this will never come again.

Now if you read that and hesitated, that means you should NOT BUY THIS CAR!

You live in California, for Chris's sake, take a breath and keep looking for a local car. Even one in Nevada or Northern California which would only be a days drive away to check out. Don't buy a car from the rust belt. The cash output just to retrieve it will easily cover the premium you will pay for a Cal car.
Oh and you still have many years to live. :: Don't rush into the "I want it now" syndrome. ::

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
I saw the original one and didn't respond because you had already gotten the best advice from other posters, that is...buy a California car. Don't be impatient. I remember when I went looking for a Mustang they ALL seemed to be in California. Surely you could find a great coupe there for that money. :)
Dave

·
Registered
782 Posts
I am going to FOLLOW up what everyone else is saying. I am 23, and I kinda rushed into buying my stang. Dont get me wrong I love my car, but for the money I paid I could have done better. Be patient, and always on the look out. You will find the right car for you...I just think the one in Penn is not for you.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts