Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At a swap meet last weekend a new parts dealer told me that they would not recommend anyone buy a left side repro fender for a '65 or '66 because they don't fit without major work (gaps & misaligned holes, etc). However, he said the right side repro is a good fit and had no problems. I need a right side fender. Is anyone familiar with this?

'68 Coupe, Modified 289 w/ Holley blower
'65 Convertible (future 66 Shelby GT350 clone)
427 S/C Cobra Replica

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
Both my front fenders are repros. The right side (passenger) definately fit better than the left, but neither is any match for an original.

If you always do what you've always done,
You'll always get what you've always got

http://www.classic-mustang.net/johnpro
http://www.classic-mustang.net/john66/mustang/pics/66fsides2.jpg

·
Banned
4,577 Posts
I had a right side repro on my 66. I'll say this...If that is what they call a good fit, then I would hate to see the left side. I finally got a good used fender at the swapmeet for $25 bucks. Best $25 bucks I ever spent!

I gave the repro fender away, I was to embaressed to sell it.

Doug

[color:red]VMF Exchange Board</font color=red>

[color:blue]A wise man never knows all, only fools know everything... hehe</font color=blue>

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'd like to know if ANYONE has purchased a repro fender that fit properly? If so, where did you purchase?

'68 Coupe, Modified 289 w/ Holley blower
'65 Convertible (future 66 Shelby GT350 clone)
427 S/C Cobra Replica

·
Registered
647 Posts
I just bought a left side from Laural Mountain, test fit it, it all matched up very good. There are two different repros on the market, DON'T buy the cheap ones, they don't fit. I think I paid around $169 for mine, but well worth it.
Good luck,
Jeff

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a right hand repo fender for my 67 and it measures out to an 1/4 in. shorter than the left side ford unit. I've been told that this is normal and should be no problem? I regret not buying a good used fender.

67 S-code fastback

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I bought the heavy gauge repro's from NPD, very good fit, and feel as heavy as the Ford pieces I have.

I do have 2 original ford pieces that have been media blasted and primed, straight but a couple small
pinhole rust spots to repair. $75 each, will be at MCA nationals in KC if your interested.

64.5 convertible (restomod in progress)
sold the COBRA for family sedan (new addition)

I dont need my wifes permission....
I'm not above begging forgiveness!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts