Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I am searching for a hood for a 66 mustang coupe since my original one is bend because it jumped open while driving..

Here in holland i can get repro hoods from a made in taiwan brand Ponky Yonki or so.. Does anyone have experience with these hoods? The guy on the thelephone said they fitted well and looked good. If this is crap what else brand repro hood should i get?

Thanks in advance
Richard
"The netherlands"

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
Richard - The reproduction hoods have a spotty record for fit and general quality. I would use a second-hand factory hood if possible.

If that is not possible, only deal with a vendor in whom you have great confidence. If someone in continental Europe sells these hoods, drive to where they are and physically inspect the hood before comitting. Transport it yourself to avoid shipping damage if that is possible.

Another possibility is to have a friend or car club acquaintance come to the US and find a hood. Have them supervise the crating for shipment and entrust it to a reliable shipper.

None of these answers are simple, but they are the best I can offer.

·
Premium Member
5,293 Posts
I agree with Glenn - Always use good original Ford parts if you can find them and they fit your budget (because they'll fit your mustang!) .....I have repro sheetmetal on my car, and it's a bitch to get to fit correctly.

Of all the repro sheetmetal, the hood fits the best though.....Although you can usually tell a repro hood because the holes for the R in "FORD" are crooked.....an old mustanger told me that, and on mine it's true ! Dickson

·
Registered
95 Posts
I purchased a repro hood once. The fit was not that good, I could deal with that, but the thing buckled because of the poor quality of metal/construction. The parts supplier refunded me and didn't even want the hood back!

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for th input!

So i can better get a second hand original hood.. I called some vendors in Holland and there was one vendor who had 5 of them. I think i'll get there and see which one is best.. Transporting it myself was a good idea according to the vendor also...

Thanks,
Richard

·
Premium Member
5,293 Posts
Good idea on the transport. I returned 2 of them before getting one that only had a corner slightly bent.....Dickson

1 - 6 of 6 Posts