Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got several repro panels that are coated with a black 'primer'. Is this a coating only to protect the panels until use? Should all of this coating be removed before installaing, and then primed with a sefl etching after installation? Or, is it OK to leave this on and simply paint over it?

TIA - Gregg

·
Registered
628 Posts
If it's the same thing they put on fiberglass hoods, it's a black gel coat finish. Probably to protect it from the elements.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
The coating is baked on primer and can be sanded primed over and painted. It is best to leave it on..

·
Premium Member
5,293 Posts
Isn't it known as EDP or some acronym similar? I don't recall what that stands for.....

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
21,999 Posts
Electrostaticly(SP?) Deposited Paint- AKA light duty powder coat. All the body shops pretty much ignore it and primer over it. It is just weather proof enough to take indoor storage. Out in the weather it will start rusting through in short order.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
near by here in Ohio , there is a company that presses and coats new panels for all model and makes of cars.
ive watched these panels being dipped from a conveyer ,hung on hookes and dragged thru a large tank of paint electically charged.
id sand it down before priming.
the people in the factory arent concerned about prep. just coating to prevent rust and out the door as quickly as possible.

G

·
I'm currently replacing my taillight panel, can I weld though the "black coating" or should I remove it where the welds will be?

Thanks,
Jason

·
Registered
6,630 Posts
its annoying, that's what it is! floors i dunno if id worry too much about it, unless your like me and por15ing the thing, then blast it off. If its an exterior panel i would definately strip the thing. And dont weld areas with it on, it contaminates the welds and makes it harder

G

·
Any place where you are going to spot weld you need to remove the black EDP. At the body shop we use a weld thru primer, in a spray can. It is made by 3M and is called "Weld-Thru Coating" pn# 05913
If you give this number to any body shop supply company they should be able to get it for you. I highly recomend using it as it does provide some protection - better than being naked /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

1 - 11 of 11 Posts