Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't mean to beat a dead horse but no matter how hard I try to let things go when I receive a new repro panel for my 66 coupe I always find myself standing in front of the thing wondering weather I should accept the imperfections in the panel or to ship it back and hope I get something better than what I sent back. For those of you who have gone through the same thing I ask have you set up any type of pass line or criteria to help make your decision? For example I just hung a drivers door I ordered from cj pony and everything looks great exept for a little high spot in the middle of the door and the lower rear corner of the door sticks out past the surface of the quarter and rocker by about 1/8 of an inch. It starts about 4 inches forward of the lower rear corner of the door. Am I expecting too much from these panels? Another problem I have is when I install the latch in the door and line it up with the striker(all of witch is in good condition) and shut the door I can get it flush with the quarter but if I slam the door with a little force I can get the latch to close further. When this happens I can't get enogh adjustment from the striker to bring the door flush with the quarter. It is recessed too much. Any input would be apreciated. Note that there are no seals on the door or opening.:shrug:

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
The seals will "probably" fix the last problem. Aftermarket panels are iffy at best and usually damaged in some form when you get them. Dynacorn probably makes the best, but I have learned even they are not perfect.

·
Registered
571 Posts
I wouldn't even bother trying to align the door until you have seals and bumpers in place. They will definitely change how things line up.

With body panels, I won't buy anything that isn't at least made from ford tooling, and absolutely nothing made in china/Taiwan.

·
Registered
8,138 Posts
With body panels, I won't buy anything that isn't at least made from ford tooling, and absolutely nothing made in china/Taiwan.
Until you need something that is not made with ford tooling....doors for example.

·
Registered
35,891 Posts
I wouldn't even bother trying to align the door until you have seals and bumpers in place. They will definitely change how things line up.

Then you are out of luck, because all the doors and quarters available are made in Taiwan. The "original tool" hoods and fenders are USA made, but no 71-73 hoods, and no 69-73 fenders are available from that source.

There are some USA made quarter 'skins', but…

The hood in this photo is "original tool", and the roof is the original. Everything else is Taiwan.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would expect to run into the same problem when it comes to repro fenders. Around $225.00 diffrence between Ford tooling and standard repro. Worth the extra dough?

·
Registered
9,022 Posts
"Around $225.00 difference between Ford tooling and standard repro. Worth the extra dough?"

Yes. You better believe it.

Tony K.

·
Registered
35,891 Posts
What about full quarters fr a 65FB. Do these exist new from ford tooling?
No, unless you find NOS, then you're probably looking at a couple grand each.

"Around $225.00 difference between Ford tooling and standard repro. Worth the extra dough?"

Yes. You better believe it.

Tony K.
I agree. Glazier/Nolan uses "original tool" whenever possible. It actually saves their customers money when they use the more expensive panels.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Then you are out of luck, because all the doors and quarters available are made in Taiwan. The "original tool" hoods and fenders are USA made, but no 71-73 hoods, and no 69-73 fenders are available from that source.

There are some USA made quarter 'skins', but…

The hood in this photo is "original tool", and the roof is the original. Everything else is Taiwan.

It sounded like he was asking for a general rule of thumb, and that's my general rule if thumb. I've done pontiacs, chevy's, and mustangs over the years, and every time I get panels from Taiwan they've been cheap and flimsy and they haven't fit worth a darn. Of course sometimes you don't have a choice, you have to take what you can get. In those cases, I try real hard to find an original.

The boss is beautiful btw, even with those crummy Taiwan panels ;) We don't all have yours skills though.

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
Can't resist commenting...not making any browny points anyway! The best overall quality bumpers I've seen are on my 68 vert. They came with a made in Taiwan sticker!

·
Registered
35,891 Posts
The boss is beautiful btw, even with those crummy Taiwan panels ;) We don't all have yours skills though.
Not my skills. The boys at G/N did that one. I do have Taiwan doors, and I'll soon have a Taiwan quarter.

·
Registered
35,891 Posts
Can't resist commenting...not making any browny points anyway! The best overall quality bumpers I've seen are on my 68 vert. They came with a made in Taiwan sticker!
Nordan (Japan) 15 years ago had better bumpers than Ford, but then they subcontracted them out and they became complete crap.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts