Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here are the crappy repro sail panels along with the original rings from my lights. Once again, the manufacturers of these parts don't give a damn about the end user ... guess they figure they'll get your money once and they'll move on to the next sucker.

Anyway ... I'm looking for suggestions as to how to enlarge the holes to be big enough to be of some use without destroying the panels. I'd just leave the lights out, but I'd be stuck with these goofy little holes in the panels.

Sorry for the rant ... I'm just sick of wasting money on parts like these ::

(Click on pic for larger image)
http://mach1.classic-mustang.net/johnpro/misc_mustang/repro_sail_panels.jpg
http://mach1.classic-mustang.net/johnpro/misc_mustang/repro_sail_panel2s.jpg

·
Registered
873 Posts
johnpro,

Mine were slightly smaller like yours, I didn't have to cut them bigger. I put them on, put a little force on them and they fit just fine, now if I can just keep the lenses in place, ahhh, but that's another repro rant ;).

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Were yours this much smaller? Did you use the metal rings? I just don't see any way possible to make the metal rings fit, and I sure don't want to destroy the rings (I'd MUCH rather destroy the crappy repro panels, as those rings aren't easy to find)!

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, that's what I'm thinking of doing, but I think I'll have to go get a brand new hole saw, so as to have a very sharp one. I'm afraid a hole saw will catch on the fabric and just rip it to shreads. I guess, maybe I can try to peal the fabric back some, so that I can stick it back through the holes and glue down to the back side like it currently is, in order to keep it from lifting up in the summer heat.

Yes, you should reproduce these. This is rediculous that I'm going to have to go to this much trouble to make brand new parts work. Who would have thought they could screw up something so simple!!!

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
I pulled the fabric back, cut the holes bigger and glued the fabric back on. I didn’t use the old metal rings, you can’t see them with the light in place.

·
Registered
50 Posts
:(Now you know what us body shop people go through when you wreck your brand new car and your insurance company tells us YOU WILL put "after market" reproduction parts on it!

·
Registered
873 Posts
Hey Johnpro, hope it works! I got the repro sail panels, the heat in AZ warped them and got bubbles in the fabric, hope you have a better set ;). Let me know how it works and who you got them from.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
John,

Sorry I don't visit the forum as much as I used to (too much time spent in the VMF chat room). I can tell you that I gave up on repopped sail panels a LONNG time ago. what I do now is take my original sail panel, trace into some 1/8 thick HARDBOARD (from Home Depot or Lowes) and use a hole saw to cut an ACCURATE hole for the metal ring to anchor to. You NEED the metal ring to give a good base for the light. The "moonskin" vinyl can either be bought from one of the many Mustang vendors or any large upholstery shop as the moonskin is very common. As a sidenote - the side panels I did in my Boss 302 over 10 years ago still look like the day I did 'em - no warps, sags, etc......

randy

1 - 11 of 11 Posts