Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got the Marti report today on my '67 fastback and it is a GT. I plan on having the car stripped down and painted over the winter. I want to replace all the chrome, emblems and weatherstripping while the car is stripped down. I have heard alot of stuff about how bad repro fenders and quarters are, but what about repro chrome trim and emblems? Should I stay away from that stuff too?

·
Registered
14,601 Posts
Emblems are fine IMHO...stay away from window molding and trim when possible. It's made of thinner material and doesn't fit as well.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
My experience with repo trim has been mixed. Some pieces have been excellent repros while others have been so-so or just plain bad. Generally, the smaller stuff (letters, emblems, etc.) is pretty good and hard to screw up. It's the larger stainless trims that are pretty poor. Items like the scuff plates and other trim items are sometimes a much thinner metal than the original and bend too easily or warp and look poor on the car. The best advise I can give is to try ordering the trim items you want and compare them to the originals and see if it is acceptable to you to go on your car or not. If not, send it back and don't buy the same brand, try another parts store that carries a different brand. Unfortunately, there are some companies that do much of the trim work and you might be hard pressed to find something better. It's really up to your individual tastes and what you want on your car.
Good Luck

·
Registered
10,413 Posts
Just finished putting exterior trim pieces on a 68 cvt. Had three orig NOS Ford wheel lips and one repop. The repo was a marginal fit. For the grill, got lucky and rounded up two very good thin grill mouldings. The repos that I had were pure sh!t and were unusable. The rocker panel mouldings were terrible but had to be used. The very worst piece is the hood moulding at the front. Spend the money on an orig NOS piece and save the aggravation of a less than marginal fit? if you want to call it that. Was able to use a very good lower w/s moulding. I also had NOS pieces at the rear so don't know about repops there. Another test of serenity and piece of mind are the repop dash pieces. In all fairness, was using a repo dashpad that DID fit good,and repo plastic dash pieces. What a marriage! Like Ben and J-Lo after his stripper caper!! LOL! :: Thankfully that was the major part of the repo crap. The tailight bezels fit well and the door handles were not a prob. The jury's out on the repo RH mirror that matches the left remote. It is a 10 year old repo still in the box. The Distinctive brand seat covers and foam were a perfect fit. The seat installer said they were the best he'd seen. Sill plates are so-so and dont fit well with radio speaker kick panels. Luckily was able to use the original valances. The repo GT style rear valance fit like a saddle on a sow!! Used the orig and made the 67 GT 500 style exhaust cutouts. Whenever orig is available, try to get it. Can understand why people go to any length to get orig.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts