Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone tried the Drake version? Says its similar to the original, vinyl skin, foam injection filled.

Bought one a couple years back from NPD, IIRC Dashes Direct but not sure, and its a one-material, rubbery, gummy-bear, POS that looks and feels nothing like the originals... same type in a GT/CS I just bought. Hate 'em...

Hoping the Drakes may be a bit better quality...

????

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Didn't know Drake was making them, I'll be following as I'm interested also. One reason I held off so long on replacing mine, the 2 options out there weren't good.
Scott Drake Store - 67-68 Dash Pad (Red)

"Scott Drake Mustang and Universal Urethane have gone to great lengths to make their dash pads the best on the market. The vinyl is vacuum formed and then filled with a space age urethane that allows the foam to breathe which greatly reduces delamination and cracking. These dash pads are the finest available and easiest to install for a satisfied customer every time."

Sounds promising, hope someone has first hand experience with them compared to what's out there now.
Jon

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
How long do you think we have to wait for the 68 console pads to be reproduced?

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
Three years ago all I could find were the repops with the wrong grain. I watched ebay for about three months and found the best OEM one I have ever seen. Dyed it using the SEMS products and it came out great.

Ford made over 900K of them. Just be patient, make sure the studs are there and check the sag in the eyebrows.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
IMO the fit is more important than the grain. We installled (tried) a 67 repro pad from MU, and it didn't come close to fitting, although the heft and grain seemed very nice. I understand the one that fits better isn't as nice looking. Pick your poison.

John

·
Registered
9,218 Posts
What about the faux stitching in the leading edge?
Why can't "they" make a correct part.....I've had the
car since '68 and needed one for about 15 years.

·
Registered
35,868 Posts
What about the faux stitching in the leading edge?
Why can't "they" make a correct part.....I've had the
car since '68 and needed one for about 15 years.
Ford destroyed the tool.

·
Registered
35,868 Posts
22GT,

I thought the knee bumper pad was supposed to be dark brown like the dash pad.
The lower pads I've seen were the color of the dash paint. If that interior you posted is yours, you need a chrome ring on that mushroom pad.

·
Registered
35,868 Posts
This is the 'fits good but wrong grain' pad. It'll do.

·
Registered
586 Posts
The lower pads I've seen were the color of the dash paint. If that interior you posted is yours, you need a chrome ring on that mushroom pad.
It's not my interior. Mine is piled up on the shop floor right now.

My dash, knee, and pillar pads were dyed black by a PO years ago. They were left in place when they were dyed. When I removed them the dark saddle brown could still be seen on the folded edges and corners were they dye did not go. So I wonder if Ford did it different between 67 and 68 or between coupe/FB and verts?

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
This is the 'fits good but wrong grain' pad. It'll do.

Where did you buy it? Was there a manufacturers name on the part? Thanks.

John

·
Registered
151 Posts
Scott Drake 1968 dash pad

I've seen a couple threads talking about the Scott Drake '68 dash pad as a better alternative - anybody have first hand experience with it yet?

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
I suggest you risk starting a new thread. This has been discussed often. Many like me think it's the same old thread!

like anything new on 67/68 dash pad?

Slim

1 - 19 of 19 Posts