Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I figure everyone is probably tird of answering this question but where do most of you shop for good quality stock replacement items when NOS isnt available?

I have a 65 Fastback I am restoring and have been using Mustangs Unlimited for most of my items when I cant find originals. My dad use to use Virginia Classics but I was told by a restorer that they werent a high quality replacement. Dont know if that is true or not.

On another note, can anyone recommend a good quality blasting cabinet for a home garage with a reasonable cost? I looked at a Harbor freight one but not a big fan of their stuff. Mostly smaller items that I have to blast.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated and thank you for your time. Rick

G

·
I like npd because they usually offer two different grades if they are available. Some parts houses only sell the inferior parts and dont give you a choice. I have had pretty good luck with the american designer stuff. Remember that most if not all aftermarket parts will require "fitting" As far as a sandblasting cabinet..I purchased a cheap bench top unit made by astro pnuematic and I hate it. The plastic base is so warped that it wont seal. I built a steel frame for it and its better but still a piece of garbage in my opinion. This is one of the 79 dollar benchtop cheapo's. I would definately go with the bigger cabinet next time and spend the extra money for a quality unit. Just my .03

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
monsstr said:
My dad use to use Virginia Classics but I was told by a restorer that they werent a high quality replacement. Dont know if that is true or not.
Every parts supplier that I know of carries parts of a lower quality. It just depends on the part. It also depends on the general honesty or accuracy of the supplier's listings. There are several vendors I refuse to deal with simply because of the way they describe items, which I know are of lower quality.

I primarliy deal with NPD and Virginia. I have nothing but high praise for both businesses. They routinely list their parts with statements such as "concours", "better" "best". You'll see the prices reflect also. And yes, they do also carry lower quality parts, as a cheaper alternative. It comes down research by the buyer. Generally, if you try to get off cheap, you get cheap parts!

·
VMF Full-Timer
3,823 Posts
I like NPD. I have never had a problem with them at all. If for some reason I was not happy with the item, I simply returned it without any hassle. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

·
Registered
10,252 Posts
I like Virginoa, nice people to do business with, but they do need to modify thier catalog to tell the good-better-best story.
NPD seems to have gotten into the more acceptable, hard-to-find concours stuff, the more correct stuff.
Having said that, both are middle men, buying what is built from somebody else.

Blasting cabinet: I bought the same one Harbor freight sells at one of those traveling semi-trailer 2 day event places. For half the price yet. OK, that means you'll have to wait. However, if you put the thing together, use caulk on the seams, it will work pretty well. The hard part is where to put it when you are through. It does come in handy for other projects. I have the stand up model (4 legs), and can blast a wheel in it.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the input everyone. I started paying more attention to what exactly I am getting. I like using Virginia but their catalog is a little vague. I do like the NPD. Their catalog is very detailed about what exactly you are getting. I have ordered some of their items in the past and was disappointed but had no issues sending it back.

I finally broke down and bought the blasting cabinet. WOW!!! is all I can say. I never used one before, I use to sit outside on my stool and clean everything by wire wheel and an air grinder. What took me 10 hrs to do by that method I could do in 10 minutes. I ended up buying the HF large one with the four legs. It was on sale for about 1/2 the reg price. Did come with a broken flour light but I worked around it.

Does take up a lot of room but as you mentioned roddster, you can get some nice sized items in there. Very glad I went with the larger cabinet.

Again, thanks to everyone.

·
Registered
4,929 Posts
i normaly stick to mustang unlimited or npd they seem to be honest and have the best quality repo stuff .

i have one of the medium sized harbor freight blast cabinets . works great . i modified it in a couple ways to better fit my need .

1) i mounted a cheap led flashlight inside so i can see what i am blasting
2) i bought a small shop vac to pull the dust out as i work ( note put shop vac as far away from you or anything you don't want getting dusty)
3) i mounted the blast cabinet on top of an old metal 4 wheeled cart . puts it right at standing level and it's mobil so i can tuck it away when not in use .

1 - 8 of 8 Posts