Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone that i know has a 69 Mustang and i am thinking about buying it from them. this was the first car i ever drove ( a long time ago) and i was wondering what would be a good price to sell it for. It will need some work because it hasnt been on the road in over ten years. I am wanting to buy and i restore it. This will be my first mustang to restore and could use a little help. Any one willing to help i would be greatfull. Amy

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
To make any kind of guess, we're going to need a LOT more info. Is it a sportsroof or a coupe. If it's a sportsroof, is it a Mach I? If it's a coupe, is it a Grande? What engine does it have? What tranny? What's the condition of the car? Is there rust and if so how bad and where?

Also prices are very geographic.

I have 3 '69's, all bought in Northern California. Here's some examples of prices in our area:

My daughter's '69 302 coupe has slight rust issues, and we've had to replace the driver's floor pan. Car ran great with lots of performance goodies on it. Car needed lots of little things (re-glueing windows, headliner, etc.), and had a very bad paint job. We paid $1500 for it 3 years ago.

My '69 sportsroof 302 runs like crap, was missing most of the interior, and is COMPLETELY rust free (the floor pans still have the factory candy apple red paint that looks new). Needed only very minor body work, but paint looks like hell boiled over. I paid $2500 for it 1.5 years ago.

My son's '69 coupe 302 is in need of paint and some dings taken out of the body. Single owner car with 93k original miles. VERY original and totally rust free car. 2 rips in driver's seat. We paid $3,000 6 months ago.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The information you were want to help me , well its a 69 coupe. As far as the engine i am not sure i haven't had the chance to give the engine a look let. I have know the lady that i will buy the car since i was 5 . The car use to belong to her son who died when he was 16 ( plane crash) and like i said it has been off the road for over 10 years. As far as the out side of the car the pain job isn't that bad but most likely could be repainted just to bring it back to the look like new. The inside is in great shape except for a small hole in the back seat. I have a feeling since it has been sitting for so long i might have to replace the gas tank and some parts of the engine were the fluids have sat for so long. The car hasn't been driven since Nov of 1985. If you still need more information i'll see what i can do. I need to head back to the lady with my mechanic so he can tell me what shape the engine is in. The lady selling it to me wont give me a price thats why i am asking to see if anyone can help me because i dont wont to cheat her but at the same time i reall would like to get this car.

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
The biggest determination of the car's value will be the amount of rust. Get under the car and look at the floor pans and frame rails. Lift up the carpet and look at the floor pans. If the car has been stored inside since 1985, you may have just come across one like my son's. That car was so original I couldn't believe it (single owner car where the woman died).

If there's no rust, and assumming it's a plane jane F code (302 CID engine) I'd say the car is worth about $3500, since it's going to need some work getting it running again. If you were to get it for anywhere from $2500-$3500, neither of you would be getting "taken".

If the car is a 6 cylinder it will be worth slightly less, and if it has a bigger engine than a 302, slightly more. Also if it's a Grande, it will be worth a couple hundred more as well (assumming all the Grande parts are there and in decent shape).

Disclaimer: I'm talking about what the car would be worth, here in Northern California where I live. We, however, live in the "land of plenty" where rust free Mustangs are easy to find. Prices in your area could be higher.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I got back in touch with the lady thats going to sell me the car and set up and time to go give it an over view . After giving it its over view the car is rust free and it has a 302 motor in it however the car wont start put at all. so next step is to have it towed and get working on it . Oh she agree to sell it to me for $3000. As long as i brought it back and let her see what all i have done with it . So i want to thank you for your help Johnpro. And i'll try to get some pics of it when i can.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts