Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I was hoping that I could get a few of you to post some suspension height numbers for stock (or close to stock) 67 and 68 suspensions. What I'm looking for are some numbers from some relatively stock mustang, although a modified car would be great too if I know the modifications.

What I'm looking for are, with properly inflated tires:
  1. Tire size
  2. Height of lower inner control arm pivot bolt center to the ground. This is the one with the eccentric.
  3. Rough height of lower outer ball joint to ground.
  4. Height of the front of the rocker's pinch weld to ground, just forward of the front notch.
  5. Whether your car has the arning/shelby drop.
  6. List of any front suspension modifications, if any.
  7. Engine
I'm have the dimensions of the stock geometry into a suspension calculator (vsusp) but am missing the main height of some of the parts to the ground, so don't know where I'm starting from before making some modifications. My car is in so many pieces it's not funny, so I can't take any measurements.

Also, if anyone has accurate dimensions of the spindles, such as ball joint center x and y coordinates relative to the hub, I'd appreciate those too!

Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
950 Posts
I can try to get this information later this afternoon.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Can't help but be curious how you are going to use the calculated roll center to modify the car from there. Sounds interesting...
I found that I can enter in all the dimensions I have but if you don't know the starting point of tire size and ride height at inner LCA bolt, it's hard to understand the effects of things like arning drop, lowered ride height, wheel offset, tire size, drop spindle, etc.

This way, it can help me decide the modifications and parts that I buy.

I'll post my numbers at some point too.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
195-75R14
10 1/8” to cl of cam bolt
9 1/2” to lower ball joint at movement point of ball
8 7/8” front ride height at pinch

Arning drop
All new hardware, bushings, Moog ball joints at refresh 1500 miles ago
SOT Opentracker alignment specs
Drake 620# lowering springs
QA1 stock mount shocks

Tracks well, don’t feel a push or loose but haven’t driven it to the limits. Minimal roll, firm ride likely too firm for most street cruisers but I like it to feel more like my race cars.

·
Premium Member
950 Posts
215-70R14
Center of eccentric is 8 7/8”
Center of ball joint boot is 9 1/2”
End of pinch weld (masking tape) 7 3/4

These are as accurate as I could get with a tape...I could not find my square.

I have done the Arning drop and pretty much stock 390 w/AC. I am pretty sure the springs are original (replacing is on my to do list). Most other items are new repop for stock spec

Reactions: blueovalfan68

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
195-75R14

Arning drop
SOT alignment specs
QA1 stock mount shocks

Tracks well, don’t feel a push or loose but haven’t driven it to the limits. Minimal roll, firm ride likely too firm for most street cruisers but I like it to feel more like my race cars.
Thank you! I appreciate the extra details on the ride quality and components. Very helpful.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
215-70R14

I have done the Arning drop and pretty much stock 390 w/AC. I am pretty sure the springs are original (replacing is on my to do list). Most other items are new repop for stock spec

View attachment 745215
View attachment 745217
Thank you too! Also appreciate all the details, including the pictures. It looks like both of these sets of numbers have with each other too, as if expect the inner LCA eccentric and pinch weld heights to have similar deltas based on ride height.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
The Knapps has a good looking ride. The stance on mine still rakes slightly to the rear depending on how I look at it. I did a full refurb of the suspension front and rear. The rear got the companion QA1 shocks with Grab-A-Trac 5 leaf mid eye rears. I wanted 4 1/2s but they were backordered for a couple of months. In hindsight I should have got top eye for the stance. While the rake is better it’s not quite what I was looking for. Drives great though, it’s a looks thing. I wanted a bit of the modern rake but still want a 52 year old car look and feel.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The Knapps has a good looking ride. The stance on mine still rakes slightly to the rear depending on how I look at it. I did a full refurb of the suspension front and rear. The rear got the companion QA1 shocks with Grab-A-Trac 5 leaf mid eye rears. I wanted 4 1/2s but they were backordered for a couple of months. In hindsight I should have got top eye for the stance. While the rake is better it’s not quite what I was looking for. Drives great though, it’s a looks thing. I wanted a bit of the modern rake but still want a 52 year old car look and feel.

Thanks for passing the photos. You both have really nice looking rides. Can't wait till I get my 67 on the road.

I plug in your numbers in the next couple days and post some of the results. This will be a nice comparison of two cars with similar setups, both have arning drop, similar tires, with the main difference being ride height, which changes the suspension geometry and directly changes the roll center height.

Hopefully sometime without the arning drop will also post their numbers. Then we'll have nice comparison going.

·
Registered
3,435 Posts
If you're not a member of corner-carvers.com you may want to join. The site is fairly dead now, but if you do a search they had some threads with very detailed information on Vintage Mustang suspension geometry and dimensions.

·
Premium Member
950 Posts
Thanks guys...I am ashamed how dirty it is. I will say my front end is lower than it should be with springs that are tired and stock 390 with iron everything.

Your car looks great, Vegas. I love the vintage colors.

·
Registered
760 Posts
215-70R14

View attachment 745215
View attachment 745217
Love the stance. Just ever so slight wheel tuck in the front.

Low life or no life. Sits perfectly in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Thanks guys...I am ashamed how dirty it is. I will say my front end is lower than it should be with springs that are tired and stock 390 with iron everything.

Your car looks great, Vegas. I love the vintage colors.
Thanks. The Lime Gold that One Day Paint and Body used on the last collision shop work in the 90s wasn’t quite a match but still captured the essence. Dad says that through the 90s and early 2000s these were more or less old cars. Neat old cars but not quite the popularity as classics now and period correct restoration parts were not plentiful. You can see the difference in the proper PPG code on the tail end of the rear quarter. I had a knucklehead hit the car while parked and did the spot repair myself instead of paying the deductible.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If you're not a member of corner-carvers.com you may want to join. The site is fairly dead now, but if you do a search they had some threads with very detailed information on Vintage Mustang suspension geometry and dimensions.
Thanks, I'll give that a look! I've tried to find this information online but always seem to come up short. Do you get more access to information if you join corner carvers as opposed to not? I've looked there before, some months back, but didn't find what looking for.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
195-75R14

Arning drop
SOT alignment specs
QA1 stock mount shocks

@vegasloki Do you know your static camber setting?

Also, where can I find the SoT alignment settings? I searched but couldn't find them.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
215-70R14

View attachment 745215
View attachment 745217
@Knapper Do you know you static camber setting?

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
@vegasloki Do you know your static camber setting?

Also, where can I find the SoT alignment settings? I searched but couldn't find them.
My apologies, I used the Opentracker street performance specs. Camber is -.56* on the pictured side, -.65 on the other.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts