Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I believe they were Robins. My dad found a nestling on the ground by the big blue spruce in our backyard. We couldn't find the nest in a 20 foot high, dense spruce so we took the bird inside for a few hours and fed it. While searching for the nest in the tree I found another nestling on the ground where the other one was found earlier. I knew this one had not been there before so the nest had to be in that spot. I climbed a ladder out and found the nest halfway up the tree on an outer branch, right above where we found the two stranded nestlings. The nest was hanging off its branch and contained a third nestling. I removed the nest and we reunited all three nestlings. The nest is back in its place and we are hoping the mama bird is fine and has not abandoned the nest. We are assuming that last night's thunderstorm caused the nest to tilt and the two nestlings probably made their way down each layer of branches as they were fidgeting and hoping for food.

Nestlings

My brother put the other two back in the nest.

I put the nest back in its spot

The lucky one that did not fall out.

We fed the first nestling about every twenty minutes. We had it in a small box and tried to keep it warm. We prepared diluted cat food. To mimic the mother coming to the nest to feed her young, we would gently rock the box. The nestling would raise its head and open its mouth. This was a neat experience but we're not knowledgeable enough to sustain a very young bird for long so we're glad we could restore the nest.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Re: scued a few nestlings today.

That's so great that you guys took the time to do all that. I hope the mama hasn't abandoned them either. You guys have big hearts. :)

·
Registered
673 Posts
obsidianspider said:
That's great that you did that, but IIRC once someone touches the nest or the baby, the mother won't have anything to do with it.
Old wives tale, there is not a single mother in the world that would abandon there child, well maybe crack junkies excluded.
Justin, that was a great thing you did, every one needs a little help sometime. :thumbsup:

·
White Elephant Guy
12,969 Posts
noruckus said:
obsidianspider said:
That's great that you did that, but IIRC once someone touches the nest or the baby, the mother won't have anything to do with it.
Old wives tale, there is not a single mother in the world that would abandon there child, well maybe crack junkies excluded.
Justin, that was a great thing you did, every one needs a little help sometime. :thumbsup:
Shows what I know... :shrug:

Snopes confirms it, you're right! http://www.snopes.com/critters/wild/babybird.asp

1 - 7 of 7 Posts