Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #1
Hey VMFers. I presently running a 347 with a 600 double pumper Holley (4160). Running Edelbrock
Performer RPM top kit(heads cam manifold). I have a nice external hollley electric pump. Would like to retain it if I could. Also want to use my existing fuel lines or do I need to run new lines. I like the Holley SNIPER. PLEASE LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU CATS HAVE USED AND WORKED. OH YEAH ALSO SOMETHING I DONT NEED TO PAY FOR UPDATED SOFTWARE MAPS OR FLASHES.

GUIDO LIVE馃弫

Registered
I've done all the research for you. I'll save you the time. Go with Holly. If you want me to get into why, I'll be happy to. But like I said, go with Holly.

Registered
Bolt on efi as opposed to...welded?

Registered
For the benefit of those who don鈥檛 get the joke, 鈥渂olt on鈥 is typical phrase for throttle body style EFI that replaces a carb.
More specifically a bolt on is considered an all encompassing system (kit) that has everything you need and just bolts on and works with little effort or designing. They are available as throttle body or port injection style with a new intake manifold.

A system that is not a bolt on would be say taking a throttle body and buy or rewire an old harness and piecemeal the rest.

Registered
I bought a fitech efi before Holley came out with the sniper. For various reasons I didn't get the car up and running until this spring. So far, I have to say that I like it. It was easy to set up and only needed some minor adjustments via the handheld to dial it in. That said, if I'd waited until the sniper came out I might have bought it instead just because I think the layout in the handheld is more intuitive and Holley is probably better with customer support, though I haven't needed support for the fitech. In the end, I don't think you'd go wrong with either system.

Registered
I have helped several people tune their Holley Sniper systems, as I have a lot of experience with Holley EFI. The software is excellent, Holley support is good, and there is a great support forum as well.

forums.holley.com

Andrew

Registered
I am currently planning on the Pro Flow 4. I like the idea of a complete kit to work together, including intake and distributor. I can put things together from research for the Sniper, and it comes out to close to the same price, but there is some discussion around the right intake. I also like the bluetooth to tablet aspect of the controller. No wires and I can carry it with me when I am under the hood looking at things.

Having no intake currently makes this an easier decision since there is no extra spend, just apples to apples.

I will know for sure which direction I go in the next month or so when I place an order. It may be a while before I have it fired up for the first time though.

Premium Member
I am currently planning on the Pro Flow 4. I like the idea of a complete kit to work together, including intake and distributor. I can put things together from research for the Sniper, and it comes out to close to the same price, but there is some discussion around the right intake. I also like the bluetooth to tablet aspect of the controller. No wires and I can carry it with me when I am under the hood looking at things.

Having no intake currently makes this an easier decision since there is no extra spend, just apples to apples.

I will know for sure which direction I go in the next month or so when I place an order. It may be a while before I have it fired up for the first time though.
Summit has them on sale right now..... https://www.summitracing.com/search/department/air-fuel-delivery/part-type/fuel-injection-systems/make/ford/engine-size/5-0l-302/engine-family/ford-small-block-windsor?N=part-type:fuel-injection-systems&SortBy=BestKeywordMatch&SortOrder=Ascending&keyword=pro flo

Registered
If you have no intake the ProFlow makes a lot of sense. For someone asking about a bolt on replacement for a carb, it鈥檚 a lot more money and a lot more complicated.

Registered
Holley Sniper all day long.
Love mine so far.
For all the reasons previously mentioned.
Customer service is world class.

513hp Cleveland here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered
420hp 331 stroker in my '65 with a Sniper. I got shipped a wonky coolant temp sensor.. but it's been a great system. I would not hesitate to go that way again.

I've also help setup a couple FiTechs with mixed results.

Registered
I鈥檓 going Pro-Flo as well. Mostly because I want multi-port injection over the TBI. Bluetooth is nice as well.

Registered
Who's run the multi-port as well as the TBI? I've heard there's a noticeable difference? Wonder if an IR gun would show more even cyl temps? How about dyno?

Is there any more economical way to retrofit a newer (like explorer) multi-port efi with some aftermarket ecm?

Registered
I bought my sportroof 5 months ago with Cleveland and the FiTech Go Street 400 and fuel commander system already installed so i have not done any research but i like it so far, good throttle response, good cold crank starting. the hand held seems easy enough to navigate, but wireless sure sounds nice!

Premium Member
Who's run the multi-port as well as the TBI? I've heard there's a noticeable difference? Wonder if an IR gun would show more even cyl temps? How about dyno?

Is there any more economical way to retrofit a newer (like explorer) multi-port efi with some aftermarket ecm?
I have seen several YT videos on the Fitech (and was going to run fitech) and the pro flo. The Fitech is a great system and if you already have an intake and distributor its a economical choice as well. They seem to have some issues with the ECM mounted in the unit itself, but I try to take complaints like that with a grain of salt as fewer people brag that they don't have issues vs those that do. I have seen some dyno videos but honestly the fitech seems it needs time to self correct to maximize hp and the videos I watched they just didn't do that.

As far as retrofitting a newer system to an aftermarket ecm? It's been done and the fox body FI system is simple to integrate into older cars, computer, wiring harness and all. But the efi systems like sniper, fitech and pro flo are typically for people wanting a more period correct appearance with the advantages efi offers.

Registered
I'm not familiar with the current versions of the Holley or the proflo. I was using GM TBI to retrofit other brands of cars to FI when they came out. The first gen proflo had horrendous software. It had lines of code added to it then the next line disabled the previous. Instead of deleting lines they just kept adding lines making things inactive. The Holley had a bad rep when it first came out as well. But that has been a while and from what I have read they are pretty refined now and I see they are using wideband o2 sensors in many of them which helps cover up poor setup.

As for the difference between throttle body and port..... Lots of variables. On most you won't get all the benefits of port injection as few systems have crank and cam sensors that enable multiport vs bank injection. That said even multiport will switch to bank injection as rpm increases because of the small injectors and limited time to inject fuel at higher rpm.
Throttle body will have the added benefit of better intake charge cooling because the fuel is injected before the intake instead of at the head. I could go on and on but...

Both are good style systems and few will notice a difference between the two in drivability. If you are going to add a turbo or centrifugal supercharger then the proflow would be a better choice.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts