Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part August's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had the brake warning light on for quite a while, I decided to check it out today. Looks like there is a sliding shaft inside the distribution block that sets off the warning light. I've got the block out of the car to clean things up, is there a way to get the shaft to slide back to the center. I'm pretty sure that is what the problem is, the light goes out when the sensor is removed from the block. I know my rear brakes are working but probably not as good as they should with the shaft slid over like that. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
IIRC, once the system is put back together and bled, have someone step on the pedal, then crack a bleeder in the side opposite the one that tripped the light, i.e. if the original leak was in the rear, open a bleeder in the front. The pressure difference should centralize the sliding shaft. Been a while since I had to do this, but that's the best I can remember it.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, that makes sense. I tried with air since it was off and on the bench but no luck. I think its probably been stuck like that for years. I soaked it with PB blaster and have the slide freed up so I'll reinstall tomorrow and give that a shot. I know I've read something about these on here before but obviously I'm not smart enough to operate the search function well enough to locate anything. Thanks again for the tip!

·
Registered
260 Posts
I would center it before placing it back on the car. I have had several that would not self align with the brakes applied method. The easiest way is to remove the piece from the block and color the spot that is concave. Lubricate the o-rings. Remove the sensor and look in the hole as you slide it back in to make sure alignment is correct.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The problem I'm having is that I cant get the slide out of the block. Its stuck back in the bore blocking the rear brakes. I can get it to turn in the bore but not slide back and forth.

·
Registered
938 Posts
I just went through this the other day.I fixed mine by first cracking open a front bleeder and stomping the brake pedal hard and had my son tighten it before i let off the brake then did the same to the rear.I stomped hard.Then when the bleeders were tightened back up i stomped on the pedal as hard as i could and on the third stomp mine centered and light went out.hope this helps you.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.