Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 68 has resonators (always did.) Just curious why they are there other than to increase the cost of replacing the exhaust system?
Dave

·
Premium Member
5,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess that's how I was able to sneak home when I was in high school without having to coast into the driveway.
Dave

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
21,212 Posts
Consider them to be minimal type additional mufflers. Increasingly common on later model cars since noise regulations on new cars has gotten stricter. Resonators are used to dampen exhaust noise better with a moderate muffler. This is generally a much less system than trying to dampen the noise to the same level with just a muffler.
Nowadays you'll also see "resonators" on air intakes on cars. Generally between the air filter and the throttle body, they dampen the sounds of the engine drawing air in. About all the hyped "cold air intakes" sold accomplish only eliminating the factory resonator and making the car SOUND like it has more power. In many cases the OEM setups actually do a better job of drawing in fresh air. IE, from behind the headlight or the grill rather than just inside the engine compartment as most kits end up doing.

·
Registered
10,168 Posts
Let's get technical: Resonators remove harmonic bass tones.

·
Premium Member
5,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've never looked inside, are they just a larger diameter pipe or are there baffles like in mufflers?
Dave

1 - 6 of 6 Posts