Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
1968 coupe, 1968 vert, 1966 coupe
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First does anyone wear a respirator while welding?
I just recently got the Miller respirator that I wear under my welding mask whilst welding. And I have a respirator with a built in face covering so it covers my eyes as well that I wear when I’m under the car so it keeps everything out of my eyes because goggles get in my way. Anyways I’m getting ready to paint the car soon and was wondering what respirator you wear for paint or body work thanks links to a website would be appreciated! Thanks gang

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Painting I wear two different types of respirators. I buy the Gerson respirator at Harbor Freight because Gerson actually makes a nice respirator, and this respirator is listed for isocyanates (not all are, and this is important). This is a half face respirator, I use it if I'm priming, and most of my priming is outside.

If I'm doing a large spray in my booth, I wear a full-face respirator. I think that was a Gerson too, but you can get 3M and other brands. You just need to make sure you get some peel away covers for the lense so overspray doesn't build up on it.

This year I would like to get a Hobby Air supplied air system with as much as I'm painting. I really should have one.

Your respirator needs to be sealed as air tight in a bag as you can get it when it's not in use as the filters are constantly reacting with whatever is in the air, and they have a limit until they become completely inactivated. The filters are only good for about 8 hrs too and then you should change them.

·
Premium Member
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Some set up! The more I looked at the picture the more PPE I noticed lol

·
Registered
5,107 Posts
Isocyanates, one of the reasons I chose a SS enamel. Still bad but much lower levels.

3M 5301- Amazon.com: 3M Vapor Respirator Assembly Large 5301: Health & Personal Care When I figure the charcoal part is mostly depleted in safety I demote them to welding, sanding or grinding duty only.
I add the particulate "socks" that were only about $10 for a box of 20 last year. Particulate Filter Compatible with 5p71, Installed on 501 Filter Retainer use, 10PCS - - Amazon.com
They have more than doubled in price, the socks have tripled but I noticed the replaceable type cartridges haven't gone up as much, maybe only 50%. I didn't want to worry about a keeping a face shield nice so I got chemical splash/vapor proof "lab googles" about $10 ea
Don't forget Tyvek hooded coveralls but Amazn says they are prioritized and currently unavailable.

·
Premium Member
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Looks expensive lol but can’t put a price on safety!

·
Registered
661 Posts
It makes a big differance at the end of the day. If I wear my ppe I feel like great at the end of day like I didn't breath anything but fresh air. If I don't, I regret it and will be blowing and picking crap out of my noise and I'll be stuffed up. It really does make a big differance. Plus you know you didn't poison yourself all day.

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Looks expensive lol but can’t put a price on safety!
They cost around $400. if you are just painting one project, go with the respirator. Since I'm painting a lot of things in the summer and being paid for it, I'm making the investment in a Hobby Air. Should have done it long ago.

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
I have the Hobby air also, ant the time Aircraft Spruce was the cheapest at $400 for a single person full face. That big hose is a bit of a pain, if I did it again I would consider the next step up, but it cost almost $1000 !

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
I don’t wear one welding. For grinding or sanding if it’s a lot I use an N95 mask. I still have a box from before the pandemic. Now you still can’t find them anywhere locally. For a while there were some P95s but those are gone as well. At retail the 3M N95 was about a buck and a half in box qty and the P95 is just under $5.

For paint, Ben17 or other nasty chemicals I use a 3M 6000 series half face with a 6006 filter and safety glasses.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Wow, I can't believe it wasn't mentioned yet... The 3M 2097 P100 is the way to go for welding. It has a carbon filter and is low profile - so it fits under the welding helmet. It's what I use and you can't smell the weld fumes. Actually, can't smell paint fumes as well but I use a different respirator for painting since I feel like painting needs more capacity.

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
For welding I use a box fan set on low to push the fumes away from me. For painting I use the Hobby Air Fresh Air System.
View attachment 755481
I bought this years ago as well. I have the hood that covers your whole face and the half mask. I use the half mask for welding and grinding.

I don't even use spray paints anymore without a respirator or the hobby air. I really want to kick my teenage ass for using a freaking dust mask for spray paint. One of my pet peeves about all the car shows on TV and the internet, I wish they would show how poisonous this stuff is.

At least thanks to the internet, I started buying the 3M respirators in my early 20's.

I'm going to be 40 this fall with our first, and likely only kid, is born. I want to be around when they graduate college, get married, buy a house, and be able to tell them all of their decisions have been terrible :LOL:

Reactions: Bernnstang

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
I bought this years ago as well. I have the hood that covers your whole face and the half mask. I use the half mask for welding and grinding.

I don't even use spray paints anymore without a respirator or the hobby air. I really want to kick my teenage ass for using a freaking dust mask for spray paint. One of my pet peeves about all the car shows on TV and the internet, I wish they would show how poisonous this stuff is.

At least thanks to the internet, I started buying the 3M respirators in my early 20's.

I'm going to be 40 this fall with our first, and likely only kid, is born. I want to be around when they graduate college, get married, buy a house, and be able to tell them all of their decisions have been terrible :LOL:
I agree. I wear a respirator for grinding also, those "black boogies" show what's going into your lungs, and none of that stuff is any good !

·
Premium Member
1966 Mustang Hardtop 289 4 Speed
5,754 Posts
A good friend of mine, plus his brother had worked in bodyshops since they were teenagers. Both recently died of lung cancer. One was 50 and his brother was 60. Both worked in shops where safety standards and training were pretty much non-existent. I worked at a shop where we attended workshops on the hazards of isocyanates back in the early 80's. I heard enough horror stories and it stuck with me.

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
A good friend of mine, plus his brother had worked in bodyshops since they were teenagers. Both recently died of lung cancer. One was 50 and his brother was 60. Both worked in shops where safety standards and training were pretty much non-existent. I worked at a shop where we attended workshops on the hazards of isocyanates back in the early 80's. I heard enough horror stories and it stuck with me.
And the bad part about ISO's, and some other hazards, is they don't necessarily have warning properties, or you become de-sensitized to them. So if you're wearing a Air Purifying Respirator instead of Supplied Air , you may not know when the Organic/Carbon cartridge is used up, and has become ineffective. That's why OSHA will not approve APR's for a chemical without warning properties. Most homeowners won't replace cartridges every "shift" or 8 Hours like they do in Industry.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts