Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am trying to figure out if resetting my milage back to 0 miles so when im finished the rebuild it will have no miles on it. i am putting a new motor and trans in, what do you guys think. i know what the milage is now. (76k orignal) and do not paln on selling it

·
Registered
248 Posts
It's illegal unless you place a door tag from the DMV that indicates the actual mileage on the car before the odometer replacement/tampering.

However, if you did it, it's SURE WORTH IT!!! (not that I did this or anything).

·
Registered
4,415 Posts
I did this with mine, some on here have spoken of the legality of this rollback, but I did it anyway. When the odometer has already rolled over at least once, who really knows for sure. I certainly do not intend to put my car up for sale, it is for me to drive and enjoy.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I reset the mileage on the fastback, the car had been through at least 4 owners and the PO had no idea what the real mileage was. I told the DMV when I registered and they put some type of verbiage on the title but I dont remember the wording, no door tag needed so maybe it depends on the state laws.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
There are several train of thoughts, and you probably hear most of them -- here's mine.

When I put in the new motor, I reset the odometer. So, I know exactly how much milage is on this motor. For me it's more important to know the amount of milage on the motor than the on car...I have no idea if it has 100,000 -- 200,000 or even more. And I have no thoughts about selling the fastback (ok -- I have thought about it, nothing seems to go right :p). But if I ever did, I would not misrepresent the car by saying it only has "X" milage on it.

·
Premium Member
1,287 Posts
in pa, cars that are older tha 10-15 years are odom/mileage exempt when you sell and title them....
my dad reset his on his car after he restored it with a rebuilt motor and i plan to reset mine as well....since my motor will be rebuilt as well

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
I put a brand new Autometer speedo in my '67. They wouldn't sell me one that said 265,000 miles, so I had to settle for "0" miles. ;) ;) I have no idea how many miles were on the car when I bought it. It had been driven a few years by PPO without the cable attached. My title is mileage exempt, so no one cares.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Well my speedo runs really really fast (says 90 when I'm doing around 70 or so) so I figure there's no point in putting the actual mileage down when the mileage recording device doesn't work properly! ; )

Hey has anyone found a gear for the T5 that works acurately with the 3.55's? Does it matter that I have the Long Speedo and not the 5 gauage cluster?

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
in pa, cars that are older tha 10-15 years are odom/mileage exempt when you sell and title them....
Not to nitpick but:

Cars in PA CAN BE odometer exempt. If for example the odometer is broken or has been replaced. But by default they are not exempt. If the speedo works you gotta report it!

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
If your cars mileage is that low and is documented, I wouldn't reset it. Even if you don't plan on selling now, you never know what the future holds and a documented low miles car is definitely worth more than one that has had the odo tampered with. Now if the odo has rolled over, or the actual mileage is unknown or unverifiable then I feel it's not that big a deal (even tho it is technically illegal). Here in Florida it is represented on the title simply by checking a box that states "mileage reading does not represent actual mileage". We also have the "miles exempt" status for cars over 10 years, but it's up to the seller to say the mileage is exempt. As long as the odometer statement is filled out on the title and a mileage reading is written down, the title will state the mileage as actual (unless one of the disclaimer boxes is checked) and the title will further contribute to the documention and authenticity of the cars low miles condition. Once the mileage reading has been exempted or marked with a dislaimer (as in not actual mileage) you can never get it titled as original or "actual miles" again, and there are fewer and fewer classic Mustangs that can claim to have original miles on their odometer.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
I don't think anybody is going to accept an odometer reading on these cars no matter what they read. Or, they'd be foolish if they did. So, who really cares what the odometer reads.
I'd reset it if it's what you want. I haven't, and have no plans to but hey, "it's your car" ::

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.