Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, today, Im pretty sure the 302 in my car finally died. Changed the oil yesterday, started it up today, ran fine for a few minutes then I heard a clunking. Then a rattling..... like a Rod. 1 Minute later it got so bad I had to turn the car off. Im pretty sure bearings are tost, and one of the rods is about to shoot out of the block. Locally I have a lead on a 1972 351W, it is supposed to run, complete for $350.00. Keep in mind this is a junk yard motor. What would be better? Tear the 302 apart and re-build the bottom end, do some home porting on the heads and so on...... or Buy the windsor? Please keep in mind im on a limited budget at this point...... Will the headers off of my 302 fit the 351W in my car? Also, how much to you anticipate I will spend to re-work the 351? Not looking for a race car motor, just somthing with a little boot scoot and boogy. Please advise.

·
Premium Member
11,702 Posts
The 302 headers will not work with a 351W. Different deck heights and all that...

You have no idea what condition the 351w is in. For all you know it could be one oil change from toast.

Price out the machine work on the 302 and let that be your guide. You can get rebuilt long blocks for under $1K. That's a roller block too, which is a plus in my book.

·
Registered
884 Posts
I think you'd have to do a little better then a "junk yard engine". Unless you were buying it with the intension of tearing it down and doing a full rebuild. Other then that I would set your expectations very low.

But.....if you are interested in power then you will have a better engine to work with.

Greg.

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
It will cost about 20% more for parts to rebuild the 351W. Buy the motor with a guarantee that it can be rebuilt. I've seen lots of 351W's that barely cleaned up with a .040" overbore.
I have Hooker Super Comps on my 68 Cougar, they fit both 351W and 302... Don't recall the part number...

As for prices, check around for engine kits.. Lotsa times the machine shop will give you a really good deal on parts if you have the machine work done there...

·
Registered
4,693 Posts
didn't they lower compresion ratios in 72 for emisions standards, this would give you less power than the 302, just a thought

1 - 5 of 5 Posts