Vintage Mustang Forums banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Here are some examples of what was used during the prototype process several years ago. We've moved on to engraving.. I need to replace the Aprons on the 67.. but I'm going to TIG weld the original VIN sections using as much of the original apron that is salvageable..

Attachments

·
Registered
247 Posts
"but I'm going to TIG weld the original VIN sections using as much of the original apron that is salvageable"......really the best way to go if you can weld....

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
The stamps themselves are almost perfect to the ford spacing - most people wouldn't know the difference once its painted over - the biggest thing is practice and supporting the rail - just put all the stamps in the jig - they will fit snug. So, I am told.

These stamps are the best McMaster-Carr - if you want to replace the rail there was a thread about someone up north that would sell you the rail and stamped but you needed to send him some proof of the Vin #.
Hmm I wonder if you would to have some duplicate numbers or if you can swap out somehow as you go thru stamping - would be concerned about double strikes

·
Premium Member
4,282 Posts
I had a 67 convertible that I showed and it was missing the vin stamping on the drivers side inner fender. I stamped it using a 2 x 4 piece of wood wedges between the floor and the bottom of the inner fender. Plus I got the metal hot before hammering each of the stamps.

·
Registered
247 Posts
One set will work but you have to practice till perfect for your application......the best way is to stamp the # on 22ga then cut it out to fit the window and TIG weld it in - which makes a nice job.

The guy who sold rails with the Vin# stamped was Mustangs to Fear but you needed to supply a title or registration with the order. Going back a few years not sure if he is into it anymore.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts