Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am painting a 64 1/2 coupe. Gaurdsman blue. Original owner car. 289. A few questions as I am the bodyshop/painter. The interior of the car will be painted too. Was it the same color as the outside. Appears it was but maybe faded pretty bad. Also was it gloss like the outside when done. It will be media blasted inside and out. The grain will show in interior ect. Or was in a semi gloss. Steering column, doors,dash, rear panels ect. What is the color under the hood. flat,semi gloss,gloss black? If this was a 1/2 year only color what brand looks most correct. I use mostly PPG dbc or global base. Or PPG concept Single stage. Thank you for your replys as I want to do this as correct as possible for the customer.

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
Hello and Welcome -

I'd suggest you send a Private Message or Email to VMF Member (and MCA Gold Card Judge) CharlesTurner.

CT doesn't spend much time logged into the forum these days because of performance issues (with the forum), but he does check his PMs and Emails fairly regularly.

He should be able to answer any question you might have in detail.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
The interior is not the same color as the exterior nor is it the same finish. It is semi-gloss. You can get rattle cans for the interior through most of the parts suppliers that will match your interior code. The steering column (all the way through the firewall and engine compartment), dash, window pillars, quarter trim, and inside of doors up to the weather strip are this color. The package tray is also painted, you'll have to check your original for the color. It should be the same color as the carpet, IIRC.

Under the hood, use a semi-gloss black. For simplicity, I use Krylon 1613 Semi-gloss black. It is cheap, holds up well, and is very easy to get on sale. I always carry a can in the car for quick fixes. For a comparison, many concours trailerd cars use DP90. However, from some restorers experiences, if you use DP90 use the leaded, not lead free. Lead free tends to start to look chaulky very quickly. I originally had DP90, and had to do some touchups and couldn't find anything to match, so it was redone with Krylon.

Hope this helps.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I can't answer your questions, but I have to say that I'm impressed that you've taken the time and effort to seek out the correct answers instead of just making it up. I know someone here will be able to give you a definitive answer.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
First I live in Newnan South of Atl. I paint on the side work for Delta. I talked to my paint supplier and I can get the exterior paint but he has no codes for interior paint. Anyone...any brand... dash doors ect... Here are a few pics of my Garage work. The pink one is mine. http://mediaservice.photoisland.com/auction/Jul/20027265691951552048266.jpg http://mediaservice.photoisland.com/auction/Jul/20027263050821493381231.jpg http://mediaservice.photoisland.com/auction/Jul/20027262528899837141282.jpg http://mypeoplepc.com/members/bcuda/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/austindone2.jpg

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
PPG paint will work fine on the exterior, I like Concept since it makes the paint look original instead of a deep bc/cc.

As mentioned already, interior color is never the same paint as the exterior. The interior is a low lustre paint. I suppose the interior color of this car is medium blue. If it is, try to cross reference Lucite # 9135LH. If you don't want to worry with mixing interior paint, Va Mustang(and other vendors) sell pre-mixed rattle cans of lacquer which are a very good match.

The underhood looks good with DAR9000 black flattened about 25-30% or, if you like epoxy primers, DP40LF mixed as a sealer will look ok. I don't recommend rattle cans for the engine bay unless you are a master "spray-bomb artist" /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

1 - 7 of 7 Posts