Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm restoring a 1968 mustang, raven black with red interior. Are there any weak spots that i should look for on this car, frame rails, or anything else? should i modify the front brakes to disc? or is the drums safe enough? the car currently has the 200 I6 in it and i was wondering if the motor still ran if it was worth keeping? or if it doesn't run should i put a 3.8 liter v6 in it? i currently have a 302 but it needs extensive repairs before it can be used and i was wondering about this. Any idea how much a new hood, trunk and driver side door will cost? i'm lost there since this is my first serious attempt at fixing it up.. any help is appreciated!

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
In my opinion the 3.8 is a garbage engine. I had one in my '83 convertable and had nothing but problems with it and heard the same from other owners. The only good 3.8 I have ever seen has been in the t-bird super coupes. My dad put tons of miles on his without any problems. For the cost and ease of install I would go with the 302.

Someone please buy my Ski Doo!
68 fastback, 390 4V premium fuel
80 5.0 hatch, just finished
91 5.0 coupe, daily driver
84 RamCharger 4x4 extreme mudsliger and winter junker

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well truth be told yes it is a garbage motor, i have this motor in an 85 mecury marquis, it was just for temporary till i get the 302 set up the way i want, thanks for the info tho!

The Best Truly Never Rest

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Keep the 200 in it till you're ready with the 302 and then do your swap. While you're working on the 302, think about how you are going to upgrade the suspension and brakes.

Ronny
68 Fastback, 66 Coupe, 64 Ranchero
Mustang Owner's Club of Austin, TX

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanx for the info, i just hope the 200 hasn't locked up.... cuz i would really love to use that engine

G

·
0 Posts
Sigh, you have my car's twin. you lucky guy you. the 200 I6 will work fine, if you like more speed though you may consider other options, but the i6 is nice, easy to maintain, and easy to work on. check the frame rails, rear quarters for sure, Drums should be ok, but disks would be cool. For the 302 upgrade, you will need a new rear end I am told. I was thinking about it. But the conversion ends up costing as much as a new car unless you really know what you are doing.

1968 Coupe, 6cyl Std, Bench Seat. Driven through 10 years of College.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well i'm glad i've found so many people enthused about these old iron beasts, tomorrow i start filling the cylnders with oil to free them up, hope the little 200 beasy wakes up! thanx for the info on the body too. I think i'll stick with drums for right now b/c i don't have the funds to do the conversion. Only one other question, will the rear out of a 91 LX fit under this car? or is it too short? and are the lug paterns the same on the tires because i've got some pony rims from this car that i want to put on the 68.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts