Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I figured this question might be better answered on this forum of the site.

There's an article in the current issue of Mustang Monthly (February 2008) titled "Jerry and John's Great Adventure" where these two guys built a restomod 1966 fastback with the plan to make it reliable and capable of a cross country drive reliably and comfortably.

I admired this build, and I wanted to find more info on the build up. The article covers the general stuff. What wasn't specifically covered was the EFI system. A crate 302 was built up and the article says it has fuel injection and I can see in the photos it's an aftermarket system, I can see the fuel rails next to the aircleaner. It looks like it could be a Mass Flo set-up.

Does anyone know? I am considering this EFI set-up as it will keep the engine looking somewhat stock.

Thanks! Nelson

·
Registered
759 Posts
It is indeed a Mass-Flo system. You can tell by the location of the air bypass solenoid on the front of the throttle body, the style of the fuel rail mounting brackets, and the fact it is using a Mallory TFI distributor (what comes with the Mass-Flo kit)...

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies guys.

Hey 66HertzClone, I found your car and site last summer and I've admired your car and build up too. Really nice quality job on the whole car.

That Mass-Flo system must be very reliable then. It's pricey I know, but it sounds like it's worth every penny! I don't see too many write-ups on the system and maybe I missed any posts about it here.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Nelson,

That's my car. I have my fifteen minutes of fame. If you have any Q's regarding the car, the build or anything else feel free to ask. The answers regarding the EFI are right on. It is a Mass Flo system and I am very satisfied with its performance. The whole project was a blast and the finished product has met all of my hopes. As the article says (if you noticed I wrote it) the cross country trip was a blast and the car really performed. I drove the car all summer in the northeast, entered it in a number of shows and won some trophies then had it shipped back to Az where it now resides.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Jerry!

Thanks for responding. Yes, I realized the article was written by you, I just didn't realize you might post here!

As I get more serious about my build, I just might be asking you a few questions. Mainly you answered the EFI question. I was concerned that there isn't much written about the Mass-Flo that I could see. Maybe I read the wrong magazines. But you and a few others seem to have no issues with it. That's good to see. I want to make my car appear as stock as possible and the Mass-Flo can get me there with minimal divergence yet give me EFI.

Your choice of rear springs is really out of the the norm. Can I ask why you chose those? To save weight perhaps?

Sounds like a really fun car to drive!

Thanks, Nelson

·
Registered
4,415 Posts
I spent a lot of time reading thru this forum before buying the MassFlo kit. Do a search for Mass Flo and you will have pages and pages to read.

Mass Flo stories

I did not find one person who was not satisfied with the kit. Chris at MassFlo was very helpful, I believe I was one of the first to use this kit. I was concerned about hood clearance, Chris mocked up a 5.0 that he had and we traded measurements back and forth until we found it would work.

·
Registered
4,415 Posts
gwmats said:
Nelson,

That's my car. I have my fifteen minutes of fame. If you have any Q's regarding the car, the build or anything else feel free to ask. The answers regarding the EFI are right on. It is a Mass Flo system and I am very satisfied with its performance. The whole project was a blast and the finished product has met all of my hopes. As the article says (if you noticed I wrote it) the cross country trip was a blast and the car really performed. I drove the car all summer in the northeast, entered it in a number of shows and won some trophies then had it shipped back to Az where it now resides.
Jerry, I would like to see what you did for linkage and return spring for the throttle. If you could snap a photo or two that would be great. I kept the original bell-crank, modified its length and the position of the arm in order to use it. This allowed me to keep the factory setup for the kick-down linkage for my C4 trans. All of this works great, the return spring I mounted to the air idle motor which on mine is positioned towards the firewall. All of this is mute if you used a cable or aftermarket gas pedal. Let me know what you did when you get the chance. Thanks.

·
Registered
8,677 Posts
Not that this is in your plans, but the Mass Flo kit does not work the greatest at higher RPMs on a stroker motor. Was reading an article online about the massflo kit on a 427w stroker and it died off around 4500rpms or so. Comparible motor with a carb continued to climb up the rpms and gained more hp/tq. The hp/tq difference wasn't all that great though, maybe 20 or so. It was pushing out 500hp, so the Mass Flo likely wasn't designed for that kind of motor. On a smaller or milder motor I'm sure it works excellent

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the links to the stories. That link took me to the FFCobra site. Not sure if that was your intention, but I'll do some searching around there too. Thanks!

Great insights for a stroker motor, my intent is more in line with Jerry's car in the article.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Nelson,

Feel free to ask any Q's you want. As for the rear springs I chose the fiberglass springs after a lot of research. (don't mean to steal this thread) I wanted to reduce the weight in the rear (about 120lbs)and everything I read both on the track forum and on Corner Carvers plus a statement by Opentracker that he planned to use the them in a future build and the fact that Corvette and Chrysler have used them made me decide to give it a try. I am VERY satisfied. The ride is soft and the rebound is fast. The car seems to perform so much better than with steel springs. None of that buckboard effect when you hit a bump I did find a crack in one of the springs recently and I contacted Flex-a-Form. They promised to send me a replacement spring at no charge but I have not yet received it.

66HertzClone,

Sorry but the Q is moot. I am using a cable for the throttle linkage.

By the way just as an aside I want to thank everyone on the forum for all of the help I received both known & unknown. Many of the decisions I made regarding the parts to use were based on info from the forum. Sometimes it was based on a Q I asked but many times it was just from reading the Q & A of others. I think my project went off without any major problems to a great extent because of the knowledge I gained from reading everything I could on VMF. So guys & gals THANKS!!!!!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Jerry,

If no one is opposed and there's interest, I started this thread to talk about your Mustang. So I hope that other topics can be discussed.

I had concerns that those springs could crack. It's new to me, but they sound from your experience that the benefits are well worth considering. I hope that Flex-a-Form comes through for you!

My car is 95% original as my Dad bought it new. But I'd like to modernize it so it's more fun and safer to drive. I'd like to keep it looking original, and I like many of the ideas you used. I'll likely go with a 5 speed vs a six, what was the reason for 6 gears, racing?

Your article mentions Global West UCA and LCA, and I can see on your site, they are conventional, not coil over. I'd thought about those or the arms from Total Control but also set up conventionally, and with Koni shocks. I've also thought about a total set up from Open Tracker. I won't race my car, but I'd really like it to handle like a modern German car. How is your set-up on the road?

And then the choice of Randalls Rack, I see a lot of people going that route. Total Control gets most of the press in the car mags, but since I haven't frequented the web too much recently regarding racks, perhaps it's more popular? I hear they fit well.

Thanks again for your insights and sharing your experience!

Nelson

·
Registered
189 Posts
Nelson,

I have a conventional front end setup (UCA, LCA, spring & shock) because when I was building the car Global was advertising that they had the coilover setup for the 65/66 Mustang but in fact it was not yet in production. I waited as long as I could and decided to go conventional using the GW setup except for the spring perches. My thinking was that I could not delay the project any longer and the only advantage I see to the coilover setup is the ability to adjust the ride height. I was able to get the height just where I want it with the "standard" system. My car was not built for the track but it does really handle well. I think aside from the GW setup the Opentracker perches make a major difference. I also used GW subframe connectors that were modified so as to allow for the side exhaust to exit close to the body. This gives me adequate ground clearance so I do not keep banging the exhaust when I drive over speed bumps or steep driveways. I went for the six speed to get the double overdrive. With the double OD I was able to use a 3:73 rear end gear which gives me terrific acceleration from the stop light but allows me to drive at 75 mph at only 2200 rpm. It's probably a bit of overkill but I just thought it was a little something special. Just as an aside John managed to fit the T56 in without cutting the original tunnel and keeping the pinion angle at 3 degrees. It took a bit of doing but I promise you it can be done. The advantage is that I did not have to go with custom carpets and the center console fits without any "adjustment." As for the Randalls Rack I picked it because of everything positive I read about it on VMF and everything negative I read about Flaming River. It was a wise choice. It was a drop in, bolt up. I know TCP also gets high praise but I decided to go with the Randalls. Hope all this ranting is of some help.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Not to hijack a thread but.....

"As for the rear springs I chose the fiberglass springs after a lot of research"
Jerry what spring rate did you end up choosing?
I am thinking of switching out the 5 leaf mideyes in favor of something more responsive and using a different shock.

Also are you using the classic series Koni's?

If so what setting do you run them at?

I ask because I run the classic Konis almost at full soft on compression, but the factory rebound setting is extremely stiff. It seems like the shocks are packing down over certain types of surfaces and the handling of the car seems to come and go because of it.

Thanks for any insight

Also if you decide to sell your '65 I call 1st dibs

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Jerry-

Again, thanks for the feedback! Not ranting at all!

I would think that going the conventional shock set-up instead of the coil-over also saved a few bucks. I am seeing several set-ups with the Total Control or Global West arms that don't use the coil overs.

So the 6 speed was chosen for double overdrive, I never would have thought that! I'll keep that thought in mind!

Thanks again for the replies! Nelson

·
Registered
189 Posts
After speaking with and e-mailing George Smolen at Flex-a-form I went with his #225. I do not know how that works out in terms of stiffness when compared to a conventional spring but it is stiff enough so the car is not feeling like it is about to go all over the road and not so stiff that I feel like I am in a buckboard. Combined with the Konis that are adjusted right in the middle and the Maier Adjustable Panhard Bar that is also set in the middle the car is a very comfortable town and road car with excellent handling. If I was to take it to the track I would adjust the Panhard bar higher up to make the rear really stick. The danger of course when you do that is that the car gives you little or no warning that the rear is about to break loose. I would also need to play with the Konis to see which was better, stiffer or softer. I am honestly not sure. For the street, the setup I am using is perfect. I have no issues with fender rub in hard cornering, no wheel hop on hard acceleration etc.

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
buening said:
Not that this is in your plans, but the Mass Flo kit does not work the greatest at higher RPMs on a stroker motor. Was reading an article online about the massflo kit on a 427w stroker and it died off around 4500rpms or so. Comparible motor with a carb continued to climb up the rpms and gained more hp/tq. The hp/tq difference wasn't all that great though, maybe 20 or so. It was pushing out 500hp, so the Mass Flo likely wasn't designed for that kind of motor. On a smaller or milder motor I'm sure it works excellent
Been there, found that out. It is a great kit for the milder setups.

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
Jerry,
I would love to hear how you fit a T56 without cutting the tunnel, I will be putting one in my '65 coupe. Could you explain the details, if possible with pictures? The only way I could see is to lower the engine.
Thanks,Steve

·
Registered
189 Posts
Steve,

You are correct about lowering the engine. We used Ron Morris adjustable motor mounts. if you go to their website you will see that not only can you adjust the engine forward, back & side to side but also you can LOWER the engine a half inch. We then dropped in the engine & tranny without bolting it all up and saw where there might be some interference. The area was marked and then "massaged" until the interference was eliminated. I will check to see if the many pics I have clearly show how the tunnel was massaged. If so I will e-mail them to you. Because I have a Mac it is really difficult to post pics.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Jerry-

I have a Mac too, posting pics is a cinch! I'd be interested in seeing your pics too. I can help you post if you like.

Nelson

1 - 20 of 25 Posts