Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The do's the dont's, what to look forward to, the hidden expenses, things you should have thought of, the surprises ahead, the brain racking, the phone calls, the tec help, tools needed,the decisions, the redo's, the snowball effect,
budgeting, ect..ect...ect....Sound like a plan??? I think the reason soo many high dollar resto cars are built are because mainly people dont know what they are really getting into. Thats when the snowball effect kicks in. Thats where Im at right now, BUT I knew going into this project that I would be changing everything. Its a can of worms right now, but I have a good solid plan to follow and when Im done, I hope I will have a magazine car. Just not going to happen soon enough for me. Thanks for letting me babble...want to buy a book?

·
Premium Member
3,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, I learned that after I changed my suspension, that I changed the engine and trans, then the special headers, then the special steering set up, then the custom column, then the custom steering wheel, finally resting with the custom seats. The bill on that much work not including my labor as usual is around...$7,500 so far. EGADS!!!

·
Registered
338 Posts
I'd be interested in buying a book like that! These cars can drain you... :)
Steve Faramelli
64.5 hardtop-170 I6-primer
66 hardtop-200 I6-the parts car

·
Premium Member
2,294 Posts
So do you have that 4.6 in there running yet? Got any pics of the motor in it?

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
I feel your pain. And its hard to keep the project simple. And for some reason, no matter what you do...the $$$ thing rears its ugly head all too often!!! Maybe we could co-auther, huh? After all, mine has John Deere parts!!

·
Registered
81 Posts
I can feel your pain. I completely replaced the frame on my vert. From front frame rails to the rear trunk brace and all structural metal in between. Difference being, mine is a mild "resto-mod" in that the changes I am making are rather small, 2-3" cowl hood, excited 289 (original motor w/some fun hp mods), some minor details, new stance, tires/rims, front valance work, nothing major and of course the new cobalt blue ppg style with black strips that I have planned. Newer buckets up front and some small interior changes. But nothing too drastic. I figure with all the frame and metal work i have into the car, it could never be concourse again without someone doing a ton of work to it beyond what I have done, so why not make it the way I want it. Anyways, the book sounds like a cool idea. Good luck with your car(s).

-A.J.

·
Premium Member
3,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, I had the motor running, its soooo sweet with the factory exahust. Cant wait to hear the headers and pipes Im working out right now. This pic is the ugly early stages of the engine compartment.It will be drastically changed by the time Im done with it.
http://pic4.picturetrail.com/VOL62/770052/1890340/30835122.jpg

·
Registered
858 Posts
hmmmm care to give me a complimentary copy so i could do a good review of it? ;)

·
Registered
989 Posts
I not only know what you're talking about. I have ALREADY written the BOOK and it's all on line now. It's my website, which describes the entire process of building my NEW 2003 Model 1965 Shelby GT350 which has to date cost me $62,000 in cold hard cash!

The difference between me and most car builders is I knew what I was getting into from the very start. I planned it this way. This is my 101 car!

See it all here: http://jmichael.info/SHELBY
http://www.inficad.com/~moneymanager/Shelbyandmeatshow.jpg

1 - 13 of 13 Posts