Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are Looking for a respected Classic Car Restoration shop owner, general Manager or someone with documented expertise in the field of high end Classic car restoration, We need a statement from a expert on what is involved in the process of Classic Car Restoration, Costs involved and hour involved and unexpected issues the can arise during a restoration, The person is just giving general expert knowledge in a statement to make sure everyone has expert firsthand knowledge on the restoration process, and NOTHING to do with this case, non do they have to appear in person. this is a small claims case, For anyone interested we will give more details, Written articles found online or expert books cannot be used, any help or point me to where we can find this person would be much appreciated and long remembered

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We would need nothing to with this case, just whats involved in a full restoration.process, (i know this can vary depending on condition and car. example Jaguar e-type vs a mustang ) 800hr +. I think explaining the process would give a good idea on where the time involved starts and a could and most cases will escalate

·
Registered
307 Posts
"...with the classic car restoration business cars take as long as the customer keeps paying. full restorations usually take about 1 year if there are no major issues, other cars could take up to 2 years or longer due to customers payment schedule."

·
Registered
33,903 Posts
We are Looking for a respected Classic Car Restoration shop owner, general Manager or someone with documented expertise in the field of high end Classic car restoration, We need a statement from a expert on what is involved in the process of Classic Car Restoration, Costs involved and hour involved and unexpected issues the can arise during a restoration, The person is just giving general expert knowledge in a statement to make sure everyone has expert firsthand knowledge on the restoration process, and NOTHING to do with this case, non do they have to appear in person. this is a small claims case, For anyone interested we will give more details, Written articles found online or expert books cannot be used, any help or point me to where we can find this person would be much appreciated and long remembered
You need someone with experience in the particular make, model and era of whatever vehicle is involved in this case. The "restoration process" in itself is quite simple... disassembly, inspection, repair or replacement of components and reassembly. The length of time involved will vary based on the state of the vehicle being restored, the availability of replacement parts (eg. rarity, location, fabrication, etc.), the "level" of restoration desired by the customer (Concours, Trailered, Driven, etc.), location of the shop and a whole lot more. There are also a lot of unknowns before the process begins that may not be discovered until well into the project.

Once you find a person who is, preferably, within a convenient vicinity to meet and discuss the case with you then you'll get a better idea of what you're up against. Be prepared to pay upwards of a couple hundred dollars per hour for their work and a fee for their expert testimony.

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
Just open your local phone book, pick and call.
Explain why and offer what you want to pay (well offer 1/2 to start:)) and ask. Tell them to summarize their most extensive resto and a redacted copy of the bill.
The only thing that might scare anyone is if you mention a court or lawsuit.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
To be honest, there are not many well respected restoration shops around and finding one in my area that will take the time or even help is hard to find even with a basic statement on what goes into a restoration, The basic process is the same in any restoration, This is not something a "bodyshop" has expertise in. This is why im looking for a respected shop outside my area,

·
Registered
242 Posts
To be honest, there are not many well respected restoration shops around and finding one in my area that will take the time or even help is hard to find even with a basic statement on what goes into a restoration, The basic process is the same in any restoration, This is not something a "bodyshop" has expertise in. This is why im looking for a respected shop outside my area,
I’ve learned here you’re going to have to be extremely specific if you want to get any help. (For good reason)

If you can I would lay the details of the claim out, or atleast what car you are trying to make the claims for (I don’t know how it all works).

I’m sure if it is a mustang someone here would be happy to call you and talk you through it. I would still pay them though.

As an aside why can’t you contact the restoration shop that did the car? Maybe you don’t know who it is?

Good luck with the claims though. It’s really difficult to describe the full extent of a restoration. Mainly because like others said it’s a case by case bases and they’re right.

·
Registered
4,904 Posts
In your statement you mentioned high end. Does that mean all correct date stamps? You really have to define what level of restoration. Daily driver, show car, thoroughbred (nothing but OEM date correct parts), rare car with hard to acquire parts. What level of car are you starting with? Rust bucket or driver? Your question can't be answered simply.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
He’s looking for someone the court would consider an expert. He’ll give details to them once he finds one. A hobbyist likely won‘t cut it. The defense could make a case against the knowledge unless they had a considerable pedigree. Best to get someone in the business that’s got considerable experience. Problem is being a court case scares some (most?) away. He’s looking to find an expert and not soliciting guesstimates on the forum.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts